Can someone tell me what this is please??

I’m a rookie so bare with me if this is something stupid I’ve just never come across if before. A buddy asked me to make him some carts with distillate he just got. I’m not sure what’s going on, I’m just starting to learn about a lot of this.

It looks normal but when it gets heated it bubbles up and hardens. I’ve never used CBD distillate for carts so I don’t know how it reacts. I did the same things I normally do to make carts and this normal looking dist turned into what looks like crumble, kind of. More accurate would be animal lard or soap. Did he get CBD dist as a mistake maybe? Is this how it would react to being heated? If that’s not it, any suggestions about what is happening here

would be appreciated. Here’s a before the stir plate and after a couple minutes on the stir plate at about 110F.

Looks like waxes

Easy way to tell if it’s cbd vs thc is how runny it is. Also cbd tends to be more golden and translucent

How trusted is the person he bought it from I’ve heard lately people have been adding all kinds of fucked up cuts to scam buyers

1 Like

Whatever it is it aint good
Send of to the lab fet a reading
Find it hard to believe that that many waxes are there beeing so tranclucent

2 Likes

I think it’s too perfect to be a wax. zoom in it’s really weird. also if it was waxes , wouldn’t they only show up when the disty cooled off?

2 Likes

Pfff desperate times are here
When big bottles get cut you know shit is up
Guess we beter get used to seeing this
At good at figuring it out before buying it

2 Likes

i’m going to throw a wild ass guess. Don’t beat me up if I’m wrong. Would this happen if you mixed corn starch and oleoresins?

That’s almost certainly CBD. Agitation leads to crystallization.

5 Likes

Would it crystallize under heat?

1 Like

Yeah, up to 60C or so, then it would start to turn back into liquid/distillate.

2 Likes

ahhhh ok

Melting point of cbd is 62C

3 Likes

Did this happen when you applied heat?

Iv seen this from distillate that was cut with unknown substances.

It was the strangest thing, it was oil, then it was heated and became a solid crystalline looking substance. Called out the manufacturer and he took the product back and gave me isolate as an apology.

4 Likes

Dab it duh

5 Likes

Hey thanks for all the replies fellas. Here’s the info I have right now and a little bit more of what I did at first. It’s a good friend of his for 25 years. But who knows what his friend knows about what he’s looking at or where he got it from. His friend lives in a state that he could have just met some guy, our state is different than that…He’s coming by after work so I can find out a little more about it, where and who it may have come from.
It looks good, about the same as any pretty good dist I’ve used from a dozen different places. It looks really clean.
When it hardened like that, what I did was pull out a couple g’s on a pick tool and held a mini torch about 12”-15” away from it to help it slide into the jar. Same thing I’ve done a bunch of other times without problems, except it didn’t slide. It started bubbling and crackling kind of and then hardened on the pick tool. It looked like sauce a bit when I pulled the heat away. I thought maybe there was something left in there, or that his buddy maybe gave him the wrong jar, but I don’t know enough about this yet to assume that. So I thought maybe I heated it too hot too quickly or something :man_shrugging:, Next I tried to dab it. Well, touch it to a hot nail with my face far away from it anyway. The nail was super hot and when it touched it it bubbled up and then fizzed out back into liquid and just sat in the nail. I searched everything I could think of on here and couldn’t find anything that was pointing me in the right direction.
If nothing else I just wanted to be able to tell him what was going on. I took a couple more g’s out and put them on the stir plate. 5 mins or so later and it’s bubbling up heavy. The bubbles filled the entirety of the jar it was in. I took it off the stir plate when I saw that, and by the time it cooled down it looked like a bar of soap had melted then hardened again in that jar, it’s been like that since. I did touch a little bit to my tongue and it was kind of sweet, but I have a bum sniffer so my taste buds are mediocre at best.
Does that sound like what would happen with CBD through those same processes? I don’t use CBD much, and definitely never distilled but that sounded like the general consensus in the thread. I think? I really appreciate the help from everyone. I want to be able to tell him what’s going on at least sort of. I know the lab is the move for the correct answers, but it could also just be a mix up too. Either way, don’t want to send him jumping with the wrong info to get his 8k back. Thanks again, I’ll update

Yea. And only when heat was applied is when it hardened like that, other than that it’s clean in a jar.

Here’s some closer pics. It’s happening in the big jar now too. It was in a cabinet inside a backpack until a minute ago, CBD?

Does it have that cherry/robitussin flavor when dabbed?

4 Likes

nvm I see its a media storage bottle

It is cut distillate. You need to call the manufacturer and tell them you will release their info or they need to refund. I’m guessing it was 1% or less minors? Out of colorado?

Cut with what ?
You mean less than 1% minor cannabinoids present ?