Can oxidation skew potency results

Hello all!

Been going back and forth to myself about oxidation and how it can change the composition of molecules. My train of thought is leading me to wonder if oxidation (loss of electrons potentially in this case hydrogen atoms) could lead to skewed lab potency results. I send out samples of high potency distillate which oxidizes fast when exposed to the atmosphere.
My question being, has anyone gone down this rabbit hole and come back on the other side?

2 Likes

If color change of distillate is your measuring then this oxidation is not so relevant for iT are not cannabinoids degrading in a rapid way
Most of my discolored distillaties barely lost potency of cannabinoids
So whatever is degradating is not cannabinoids or the little ddegradation creaties color that Go s a long way

1 Like

Awesome perspective.
I’m wondering if I see an average of total cannabinoids being around 95-98% is it really the other 5% of compounds oxidizing…
Also is there any official way to measure oxidation other than color? We not not utilize in-house testing and go to standard labs i.e. cannasafe, nasicent, and SC labs.

1 Like

Well i t is probably something else oxidizing when. You watch @beaker his
Pure refinement movies hè was making waterclear delta 9 wich discollored almost instant and when distilling would turn water clear again
He talks a lot about the subject
I have tried to replicate his findings and also think that yes there is oxidation but iT is not only cannabinoids and not very much
The collor changer seems very strong at changing color at minute quantitys

3 Likes

I’ve noticed this as well.
Yes I observe the thin layer of pink/maroon discoloration when dealing with bulk jars but also have observed when a thin layer of distillate is spread out and exposed, turns pink rapidly.
I want to mention I don’t add any color redemption agents and only perform WFE and fractional distillation.
But this observation is something I find to be fascinating and wanted to try to understand the true identity of what compounds are oxidizing.

1 Like

Yes indeed iT would be Nice if we could identify the few % in distillate
There are lists with crude oil. Content one Made up by this dutch company
Bedrocan i asked before if Any one knows the content of compounds found so far
For a compound with the same bp is most lickely the culprit
The hunt is still on maybe Soon we Will know😀

Is the pink/maroon occulting after florisil chromatography?

D10 will also lower your potency.

I distill using a BR spinning band and the oxidation occurs right after pouring into a bulk jar. Definitely had some degradation issues in the past but lowered batch sizes. Once the company I work for really scales I’m hoping we can use N2 to prevent this oxidation.

Was the crude/residue ever exposed to base?

Here’s my hypothesis:

This impurity is polar and colored makes me suspect it’s a product that is thermally created, co-distills, and oxidizes and polymerizes with oxygen. While the polymer can be removed, the unstable compound creating the polymer is present throughout the oil.

This is especially problematic in a vape cartridge which eventually exposes the entire cartridge to these conditions. So water clear oil is gradually colored by a compound that can’t typically been seen by GC or HPLC.

3 Likes

Hm I suppose, the crude does come in contact with organic ethanol but I’d view that more as a weak base depending on definition…