Can I use my e30 on a 10L SPD setup?

I’ve been wondering if I can use my current 5L setup and bump up the mantle + flask. I would love to still use my dual cold traps + e30 full bore setup.

I know there is a point where people goto dual e30, just not sure where that points is. It seems to me that my e30 is nowhere near struggling to do the job currently.

My E30 runs my 10 no issues and my connections are 33/34 all the way through

@HeisenbergInd I’m seeing a lot of dual head setups? Any thoughts on that?

They looks like 2 x 5L heads on a 10L flask.

Elliot says 2 heads is pointless. Still the same amount of vapor being created.

2 Likes

@FicklePickle I thought it was also about opening up the pathway, just like when we went from 3/8" hose to 1" full bore. I’ve been staring at the Breaking Bad designs and it’s like 4"

A lot of Elliots designs have like 45/50 and 50/55 joints on them.

I realize my first analogy is wrong; since it’s about the full pathway, and not directly over the flask.

But there definitely seems to be something about the joint size on the flask

I really don’t know why, I’m just taking the advice of @spdking here.

If you have a bigger mantle and boiling flask, you’ll have more surface area to create more vapor.

The dual head on a 5L flask makes sense if you’re working with a small orifice like a 3/8 line, but a 34/45 is 3/4”-1”??? Somewhere in there? Seems like the vapor path is there.

Cls is my game. It’s amateur hour when pickle starts talking spd

1 Like

Been wondering if I could literally just drop a bigger mantle and flask on my current setup. My main concern is just residence time in the flask.

I agree with Elliot, dual heads are useless, get a larger joint size of you want faster flow.

I thought dual heads would increase my flow, not so much. Also I use a single pump on a 20l setup and it works fine.

It’s bogus. Waste of time. For the same cost you can just get a larger more efficient setup.

3 Likes

34 is 2l
45 is 5l
55 is 12/22
71 is 22/50

This is how we do general sizing.

1 Like

Pump size/arrangements are really based on what you are doing.

Small systems can live with one trap and one pump for the main body. Think of it like this. Once you start going bigger when a system requires two traps on a main setup then you need two pumps. Basically you are splitting up the soak load from one to two units and everything ejects much better and doesn’t saturate and condense as much. Also if you ever have a failure it’s okay to close one valve and limp home on one pump.

Dual pumps will increase speeds and lower the distillation cusp.

2 Likes

Hi bru,interesting analysis