California’s Legal Pot Industry ‘Collapsing’: ‘Buyers setting prices’

Situation in Massachusetts was similar when i was there.

Good discussion. But the BM sets the market. Always has. As long as cannabis is in some way regulated and legalized instead of decriminalized, there will be a particular element that says “fuck all that”. I’ve been buying and selling cartel weed off and on since the mid 90s. For a legal business owner to pipe up and say some shit like “the cartels are ruining things” is laughable. Some of you have never flew in the face of MMS and it shows. Sorry to say; just because the government finally gave you permission to do a thing, doesn’t mean this is your game to win. You’re treading into an already established trade.

Cool forum. Think I’ll kick my feet up.

5 Likes

A Wild Alt Appears

12 Likes

Grow better weed. Small mids farmer can not compete with mega million mids farmer. Scale accordingly.

5 Likes

@Tom I guess you are right to a certain extent. I admit, my real name isn’t Brick James.

3 Likes

With MSO’s, there’s a lot of lateral movement with CPGs and cannabis talent right now. That’s how you know cannabis and hemp products are truly nothing more than a commodity in the future.

1 Like

You are 100% absolutely incorrect about this. The price has absolutely nothing to do with export. The price stems from Japanese gift culture in which farmers grow ridiculously lavish and pampered versions of common fruits like melons and then gift them to relatives during special occasions.
Historically, fruit has played a large role in Japans gift giving culture. During the fourteenth century, samurais would offer tangerines or melons to the shogun, their leader, as a sign of loyalty and appreciation. Today this attitude still exists; however, arguably the fruit can be seen more as a vessel of appreciation with the tagged value being the greatest symbol, rather than the piece of fruit itself. An expensive piece of fruit may sound ridiculous, but the implied value is where it gets its worth.

Another reason fruit is so expensive here in Japan is simply because it’s so perfect. Farmers spend their careers dedicated to cultivating the perfect fruits, season after season, tirelessly growing, harvesting inspecting, and altering until they create the perfect specimen. Many farmers actually massage melons and do things that are considered absolutely ridiculous in the west in order to create a luxuriously perfect fruit. :call_me_hand:t3:

9 Likes

Back when the weed money was really good, this practice was not unheard of in the US, especially with client site visits.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean I’m still getting 2400 a unit in my market so I’m just going to keep quiet and be grateful that I have a niche clientele that obsesses over top shelf organic quality. I feel like one of those farmers sometimes because I really am in the gardens every day trying to make sure the plants are as happy and healthy as they can be, and feeding them all sorts of extras and tweaking macro and micronutrient ratios to maximize flavors🙏🏼

9 Likes

I’ll take some of that weed

3 Likes

Decent write up on corporate chads infiltration

2 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder what their quarterly burn rate is/was? Seems bad management along with unpaid invoices imo.

3 Likes

Colorado collapse

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/06/09/colorado-weed-market-00157118

1 Like

"New Mexico legalized adult-use marijuana in 2021, with sales launching in April 2022. The state allows adults over 21 to purchase up to two ounces of weed at a time — double Colorado’s 1-ounce limit. Edibles in New Mexico can be produced with higher dosages, too.

Cannabis industry insiders believe New Mexico’s higher purchase limits are drawing residents from nearby states without legal cannabis who used to drive to Colorado to buy weed.

There’s also the added wrinkle of intoxicating hemp cannabinoids. The market for products like Delta-8 THC boomed in recent years as hemp producers figured out how to exploit a loophole in federal laws that allowed them to sell intoxicating products. Since then, many hemp producers have focused on the more lucrative intoxicating products, which aren’t subject to costly state cannabis regulations."

I’d say the above paragraphs sum it up pretty well.

3 Likes

Covid numbers to now look bad. Pre covid numbers to now are identical. Poor business analysis by anyone surprised. A 1.5 bil market is still pretty popping for that level of population

4 Likes

colorados been collapsed for almost 10 years. in 2012-2014 I went from getting $5/g to $1.5/g per gram i made for the dispensary i blasted for, by 2016 I couldnt move strain specific extract for more than $9/g wholesale.

lets not get started about when i used to be upset at getting anything below $30/g wholesale in LA lol

2 Likes

Wow, that’s bonkers. I was getting better deals than that back before any legalization (not in LA) and it was better than anything I get in the dispensaries these days for the same price.

On the other hand, i’m happy people in LA can get their concentrates for a lot cheaper than that now – weed deserves to be the cheapest drug out there.

1 Like