California Lab Rosin vs Distillate

I’m opening a Manufacturer Lab in Southern California and I’m looking for advice on which approach would be better in trying to get into the Legal Cannabis Market. I am divided between starting a Rosin Pressing lab or a small scale Distillation lab. Due to budget constraints I have about $50,000 for the lab equipment. I’m trying to figure out if one is better in trying to break into the market

You will likely have trouble keeping up in the distillate game, it’s all about lots of throughput. Which means lots of capital investment.

If I were you, I’d go the rosin route. You can make a high end product that some people will pay decently for if you can market it well. Then, if you want to make distillate after that, go for it. Distillate is mostly low-end, and is marketed towards the every-man.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. When you say ‘some’ does that mean the demand is not that high for Rosin?What do you say is the minimum liters per week that you can start off with Distillate?

That’s really dependent upon your location.

I say “some” because as a generalization, rosin is usually a higher end product, which implies it costs more. People need a reason to spend more money on it, some consumers use the solventless reasoning as to why they think it’s better. Some people are just biased. Hence why I say it depends on how you market it.

The distillate thing is extremely location dependent, if you’re in a newly legal state, 1-5 liters would probably be fine. In a saturated market, at least 10.

1 Like

I am planning on something similar. I feel like a bubble-hash extraction lab in a cold room that then gets the majority of its material pressed for full spec hash rosin would probably be your best bet to generate profit and keep competitive pricing. I’m local to Southern California and have a bit of knowledge about the subject if you’d like to discuss ideas.

A Bubble Hash Lab was what I had in mind just like you mentioned. My concern or question in mind is if the demand is there for the product. What experience can you share on the market for Rosin in California?

rosin needs type 6 or type 7 license. distillate needs type 7. 50k is not enough to make distillate and be competitive. You need at least 200 k to survive 500k to thrive

2 Likes

What do you think about the market for Rosin in California?

It’s only a matter of time until rosin becomes the preferred method of extraction for bm movement down here. The consumption market will always be there. The question isn’t about the desire for the medicine, it’s about the desire for the quality you can provide. If you’re looking to service the low end, you’ll need to service the low end and probably take a hit to generate a name. If you’re looking to service the high end, expect stiff competition, a lot of upturned noses, and a lot of product that may sit unless you utilize the “canna influencers” :face_vomiting: to get the hype bois all on your nuts. I mean it’s all about your network, or how much you’re willing to spend paying someone to make the quality you need to shut everyone up, or the time you’re willing to spend learning how to do it yourself. The word “solventless” on its own is worth its weight in the CA rec market.

3 Likes