BVV 4cyl new pump? Anyone bought one yet?

So Don’t know if this has already been discussed earlier but has anyone run one of these new pumps BVV is claiming does 2lbs a min? Anyone seen these working? They won’t give me a decibel rating on the 4 cylinder so I’m sure it’s high, but the price point is too good to ignore m. Even though BVV punks us now and then is this is worth a look?

2 Likes

This is what I was able to get from the company it would be excellent to hear from someone in regards to maintenance as well.

1 Like

Installed our BVV 4cyl today, and had to take it down almost immediately. Super loud knocking noise sounds like the pistons are fighting each other, and isn’t recovering much of anything. Did the recommended trouble shooting that was included in the literature, provided with the pump, with no luck. Put our CMEP back in rotation for the time being. Also, BVV is has not answered any calls today during their normal business hours, and there’s an automated recording now saying they’re closed for the day. We’ve reached out to our contact at BVV this morning via email (we are wholesale clients) and still haven’t heard back. I’m assuming the launch of the new pump hasn’t been so great, and will also assume BVV shut down the phones today to get with their manufactures to see what the deal is.

2 Likes

Its Easter weekend they may have gotten the day off I tried calling as well and no answer.
Mine was working great for the first 10 minutes then it started cutting off no fault codes its just like someone hit the power button.

2 Likes

BVV got back to us this morning. Seems people are having similar issues, and they believe its due to damage during shipping. They’re sending us a new high pressure sensor/switch to see if it solves the issue @GrimmBeard was having (we ran into the same auto shut off problem) and also advised us to check the intake filter for damage. Will update once we replace high pressure sensor part and clear out the pump lines/filter

Any damage to the package? thing was inside three boxes and blocked with foam packaging on mine was in perfect condition and the pressure sensor is in the middle of the unit protected by the outer casing. Im calling BS on that fix and the unit is supposed to be able to pull a decent vac so why would an inlet restriction cause it to shut off?

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Our cooling fan was damaged when we opened the package, but other than that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Checked the intake and didnt see any filters, or damage for that matter. The BVV rep asked for the part number for the high pressure sensor, and said that there were 2 different high pressure sensors for this unit (not sure why though) and would be sending us the other one to try out. We’ll see if it fixes anything though… ours runs for about 30-45 seconds and shuts off

“Cooling fan damaged.”

I think I see your problem
Right there

Sorry I wasn’t more precise, but its the outer plastic casing not the actual fan itself. The fan still functions properly but the damage to the outer casing makes it clear that it was indeed damaged in transit. As long as it works, I’m honestly fine with not having the outer ring. Have you gotten yours to function properly yet? Really interested to see some accurate recovery rates on these, and if they’re worth the hassle they’ve been thus far

Damn thanks for the feedback with this pump perhaps ill hold off until its been on the market a little longer.

Thank you all.

Evening, just wanted to hop on here and address some concerns you guys have brought up. I would first like to say that if you have any issues with our pumps, PLEASE give us a call.

We’ve looked into the auto-shut off issue mentioned by @Greentoe and we’ve pinpointed the source to a faulty switch. Roughly 25 high-pressure switches on the initial release of BVV recovery pumps have a lower vibration tolerance than initial testing indicated (switch LF-08 220/350). The high vibration levels send an error code to the control board and shuts off the pump. This can be exacerbated if the pump had a rough trip during shipping. A new switch is now being used to correct this issue. Any customer that has this problem should email us or give us a call and we will overnight the replacement switch, with instructions on how to replace it. We will be releasing a bulletin identifying the affected pumps shortly.

This was an isolated defect and all future pumps WILL be released with the appropriate switch. We appreciate your guys support and we will like to apologize for the inconvenience this may have had.

4 Likes

Looks like my new switch will be here today @Greentoe ill update when I get mine installed. for those curious on recovery rates I was able to recover about 3/4lb/min before failure and that was with 10lbs of 70/30 recovering at 75 degrees (forgot to plug heater in). Sucked the pot from 60psi down to 30psi and recovery slowed a bit so hopefully ill get some good numbers today.

1 Like

Also, to address the recovery rate; these pumps were designed to operate at 2lbs/min (n-butane). 2lbs/min was achieved in an ideal scenario, but the rates can easily change based on heating/cooling capabilities of the customers vessel and the size of the lines. Obviously, many factors will play a role in actual recovery times. More specific testing on BVV systems will be done and we will release this info on our website (blog) when it is completed.

1 Like

Installed the new high pressure sensor and we’re rocking and rolling! No faults or hiccups, although it’s still VERY loud (recommend ear protection especially inside a C1D1 booth). Distilling our n-butane right now, and will have some numbers for recovery rate by end of day. Thanks everyone! @GrimmBeard @shopbvv

2 Likes

Anyway to get a decibel reading on that?

@Greentoe Did another dry run to test function and we are back up and running. Its only getting 1/2 - 2/3 lb a minute on 70/30 n-butane/propane what your numbers looking like? Definitely need some hearing protection to stand around this thing @Dxmimg my ears are ringing and it kicks off heat like crazy.

I was already running two trs21 before this and from what I can tell that’s all this thing is? I assumed with the recovery rate claims it would have had bigger pistons or something but looking at it side by side with my TRS its the exact same cylinder just a different head style that’s piped together and a different motor. If you’re already running multiple TRS pumps this will likely not increase your recovery rate much if at all. Ill make a few more runs and update if anything changes but as of right now I’m not thinking I would recommend this for anyone other than someone starting out with a smaller system.

1 Like

Getting around 0.8-1.0 lbs per minute on our 12’’ OSS collection vessel, with our water bath recirculating our jacketed bottom at around 50C

Our Cmep was around 0.8-1.0 lbs recovered per 3 minutes, so a significant increase for our system overall

We use dry ice pretty regularly, so I put a small scoop in a 5 gal bucket and placed it in front of the cooling fan so it draws cool air over the unit. Also put a rubber mat underneath the pump to dampen the noise. Both seem to be helping during running hours, but I’d still grab some PPE for the ears if anyone ends up purchasing the pump

These numbers make me cringe…

And the thought of working around that pump makes my ears ring.

4 Likes

What numbers? They’re to be determined! (Well, according to the bvv thing above.)
Yeah, the numbers Homie posted are whack! Passive for the win!

3 Likes