Butane not pulling cannabinoids at low temps

Hey guys, first forum post here. So I’m running a closed column setup (yes I know I should have a loop, and dont worry it’s all done outdoors and as safely as possible), and I’m having some unusual things happen. Column has a dewaxing sleeve that i fill with dry ice/ethanol, and I fill the 180g column with 4-5 ozs of trim, vac, chill it and fill with tane. I let this batch soak for about 2 hrs, making sure to keep the dewaxing sleeve full, and then released it. I got an almost clear pour, and I even ran an extra can of tane through to see if it pushed any put. After letting it air purge for a couple hrs there is less than 1g remaining, and the material in the colum. Is still really sticky. It appears that the 3 cans of tane pulled almost nothing. How could this have happened? I ran the material again at a warmer temp (dry ice in sleeve but no ethanol) with only a 10 min soak and got a much better result.

Your tane maybe propane or other gas heavy if it’s from a can but sans that(2 hour soak is long so should grab everything regardless), you sure there’s cannabs on what your running? When running cold on low quality trim, you get almost nothing compared to the same material warm extracted.

I ran like this when I started…I think the pressure of the cans barely trickling out and smaller feed hole takes way more than a CLS

I use to put 3x 420ml cans per oz…I’d ran at least 12-18 cans…I was over killing I know but running into same thing you are

drop the iso just fill w dry, your column so small you’ll do just fine

Btw I even dropped the sleeve went back to my standard column and would just load it up and freeze the everything in dry ice before running, upside down in dry ice w stand hanging out for 30-hr, yank out . Run cold solvent. The sleeve almost not needed running right w small set up.

Freezing materia, column, and solvent prior to running is key… If your solvent doesn’t come out after dry ice your solvent is a lil to cold

Good luck. And never run this inside! Or purge pan butane down inside!

Your volume of solvent is not enough. You’re creating a super saturated solution in your column and then with the 2 hour dwell under extreme cold you’re causing thca to crash out. I wouldnt be surprised if you were to find some sort of thca isolate in your column somewhere. Maybe on your filter papers. Keep your column cold and flush with a second volume

But like stone said you’re gonna have trouble getting enough pressure with a frozen column dumping out to atmosphere. Maybe invest in a large collection tank? I got a 6 gallon solvent tank for $500 at bhogart it was half off

2 Likes

do a cold/fast rinse. >3:1 solvent:plant. (do a second rinse warm after if you wish) let it dwell dewax after it rinses nice color off your plant.

2 Likes