Building a Mol Sieve

So I’m wanting to add a Mol Sieve to my passive system just got a couple questions:
Is it just the desiccant beads inside the spool of a Molecular sieve? I’m not looking to spend $400+ from BVV if I can just assemble one myself with the parts. Could I just buy the spool, end caps, valves, and gauge, along with the beads and build my own for cheaper?

Also, does recovering your solvent through the Mol sieve slow down your recovery times when doing it passively?

use hemispherical end caps

2 Likes

Word, yeah that was my plan, but just to confirm, is there nothing more to it than the end caps, fittings, and a spool filled with beads?

3 Likes

Filter screen gaskets

1 Like

Dust sucks. How big is your system?

2 Likes

1.5 - 2# depending on how much I pack the column.

Okay, thanks bro

1 Like

di ya end up macking yeur own thats what i had in mind just mack my own

Can someone explain to me what is meant as a mol sieve? I am interpreting that as molecular sieve, which to me is just a medium that contains a specific pore size to trap molecules (I’m guessing water) from a gas or liquid.

Or are people talking about the overall rig to pass material through mol sieves?

Its used to dry your solvent of moisture, there are differwnt ones that can be used for liquid.

What kinda screen gaskets are you using to contain the dust, i usually use 1micron sheets and a large mesh gasket as a backer.

2 Likes

For passive a jacketed running warm water treu helps in keeping pressure on the line

4 Likes

The bottom hemispherical cap (from collection) has a filter plate, I am using 1micron filter sheeting and a retention ring for that, and then a gasket with 5 micron screen On the outlet (to coil)

Hi,
The gas recovered from a closed loop extractor is passed through a column know as the “filter dryer” , the filter dryer consists of a sanitary spool with hemispherical end caps, inside the spool retained by screen gaskets are the molecular sieves. The job of the filter dryer is to keep the hydrocarbon gas vapor dry and prevent ice from forming inside the solvent tank. Alternatively if run with warm solvent the small amount of h20 can pull undesirable compounds.

you are indeed correct, 3a sieves are most peoples choice.

4 Likes

Pro tip: dont place your mol sieve filter horizontally. Make sure its vertical, vapor should come up from the bottom and pass out the top.

10 Likes

1 micron paper and a mesh gasket has caused restriction for me before

I need to try some of that cotton ball filtration in a sandwich on the outlet side

2 Likes

A good product is the corning glass wool. Should be able to find it easy enough via google.

3 Likes

Is this the same thing?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X3R7RPV/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT856N0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_GzgWEbE8TKYTD

1 Like

Something to keep in mind for your design; a mol sieve generates heat.