BreakingDabs Distillation Tek

Ok that makes sense thank you

1 Like

Ok Iā€™m going to try the internal probe setup first thing Monday.

1 Like

I love the idea of using sonic agitation with absorbents. Iā€™ve used that method for lipozomes and had never really thought of it for scrubbing. Cheers!

6 Likes

@anon42519203 Can you explain why you prefer to do two passes? What are the key factors that improve with a second pass? You have a lot of experience in this, so I would imagine your first pass distillate is better than most.

Differences in potency? Improvement in odor? Color?

If you were restricted to a single pass what might you change? More patience during the heads fraction? I would think that going very slow or using dual distillation head pathways to really pull out the heads junk would in theory be able to create a first pass main body that needs no additional distillation to remove contaminants. I have made 90% THC on a first pass on a 2L, but holy fuck was it a slow process.

2 Likes

Its typically alot easier to do two passes. The reason being mainly due to aZeotropes, and the mess that happens when volatiles go all over your system, and they do. The first pass is a rough cut. You remove alot pf unnecessary fractions. Doing this quickly can actually keep a very high potency result, ive seen personally as high as 99% on a first quick pass. The key was to allow a long heads fraction and clip the main body early before tails begins to appear. Theres a narrow window for this and it changes not only due to boiling flask constituents but also vac depth. As vac increases, the fraction separation tightensā€¦ so tails begins to catch up.

If restricted to a first pass only. I would have two heads if color was the only worry, but if it was color and potencyā€¦ then a nitrogen backfill that filled just after the main body drop off like the port on the laminar cow from summit. That way as heads started what i would do is inject nitrogen like a distillation gate to kill the boil. Just enough. Then stop injection and allow some more heads to come out. Then do this again. And again until heads finished. This concept comes from the enrichment process of uranium 235ā€¦ they used a series of diffusion mesh rooms where they would pass uranium hexaflouride from one chamber to the next. The way they do this is built on the principle of molecular distillation, the lightest molecules will move first through the mesh, in a rush, then the other molecules would follow, they would shut the gate on those and subject them to the same room. The ones that made it out first would then go to the next room and do it againā€¦ by doing this. Heads fraction could be stripped clean enough to remove most of it and then main body can be taken overā€¦ the issue is the nitrogen would ahopt stuff everywhereā€¦ including in the pumpā€¦ which is another concernā€¦ the pump is full of junk after a first passā€¦ youd have to have a volatiles pump and a main body pump or twoā€¦

Another way would be to subject the crude to all the preprocessing i could before startingā€¦ thus allowing for better results based on material.

18 Likes

Low and slow does workā€¦ but multiple columns help, tall for azeotrope (heads) short for targetā€¦ also vac depth can be a factor (working on diffusion setup, ive heard good things)

4 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Interesting stuff. So it sounds like a high purity first pass product is possible, but it seems like consistency would be a challenge due to the fluctuating factors, especially vac depth, between runs and within a run.

What do you put into the flask for your second pass? Just the main body of the first pass? Looking at your setup it looks like you trash all the heads and go next to main fraction, then swap out the flask for tails? I have been using a rinky-dink custom 2L I built with the 3 receivers. I collect a terp/head waste fraction, and early THC fraction I call ā€œheadsā€ that is stored separately, and then a main body. I donā€™t collect tails but retain the residue. I am aware of the limitations of this setup so Iā€™m putting together something new. My crude is decarbed and partially de-terped so there isnā€™t an overwhelming volume of the terp/head garbage.

Also, you must change vac oil a lot. What are you doing with all of that?

2 Likes

Depending on how clean the heads cut is alot of times i will garbage it. If theres alot sometimes ill collect them and throw them in with tails. I can usually clean all this up in a single pass with some clay and then bump trap any residual heads off like i did in the last video. The quantity of actual heads fraction i get is generally pretty minimal, and in the interest lf time saving and potency, i dont spend much time on them. Just collect and set asideā€¦ the run of heads and tails made enough for a 10L run initially. When i was done i had about 1500ml of actual usable material. So is it worth it in the end reallyā€¦ :man_shrugging: Ya after a few months sure.

The nitrogen backfill is still just a concept but it does theoretically work. I have monimal plans set in motion to try it.

As for the vac oil. Its hydrocarbon based oilā€¦ you can turn it in as motor oil. Technically. From what i hear it actually ends up as ship engine oilā€¦ thas at least info from the owner of provac

4 Likes

Does the edwards have a glass sight glass, im currently using alcatels and waiting foe my sight glass rwplacements to do the usual acetone cleaning. Ive never triwd thw 50/50 mix. Im glad to hear that you can run the mantle using the internal temp like when your doi ng a burn in with a brand new one.

Most have a sight glass on the front or side to indicate fill level.

What mantle do you have that can do this? My 5l LS mantle has no such connection as far as i can find. It needs an external temp controller, so it seems to not have an internal pid?

Could you extrapolate? If you changed the head on this to a regular packable head 75 degrees, would that facilitate proper removal of volatiles? Iā€™m trying to understand how to best incorporate this since i have it. It seems i canā€™t get as good of a vac with it attached. Just got a jack for it with some more clamps and apiezon, hoping that will help. But Iā€™d love to hear what you have to say about it. Iā€™m stuck with gl for now.

Thanks breaking dabsšŸ‘

2 Likes

Hey buddy, so I got quicky for youā€¦ Iā€™m trying to understand everything about the small distaliting kit you sent me while back when I was thinking using hexaneā€¦ Anyways it was cheap and a boiling flask straight to collection flask, was vacuum operatedā€¦ Iā€™ve pretty much get everything but last couple thingsā€¦

So there looks to about 3 different vacuum connections on this apparatusā€¦I connect vacuum to all 3? Is it ok to use a T and send it 3 different ways, I have no regulator on water pressure so I can get lines that wonā€™t collapse and turn it upā€¦?

And can I use 2stage CPS vacuum pump to do this with cold trap? Which would be best if I can, water aspirated or the 2stage pump, I understand the pump isnā€™t quality but would it work considering the distilling kit, mantle, magnetic stirrer and everything will be under 200$. I would get the sublimator but I canā€™t find one around the size I would need, small, like I would never start with more than 5-15g crudeā€¦

Thank you so much, Iā€™m trying to get more constant version clear for myself as Iā€™m using it to come off methadone ( at the doctorā€™s rate) but it saved my life and with the clear medicine I think I can successfully come off it. Iā€™m not gonna stop mining, but Iā€™m definitely wanting to give it shitā€¦ All personal like alwaysā€¦ And I know I said quick Iā€™m sorry

2 Likes

There is one vaccum connection, it is on the distillation receiver. The two top ports are for the condenser water. The small pump you have might work, donā€™t expect any better than it just barely working and sub par results. The pump is almost the most important part.G120461 Leybold Heraeus Trivac D16B Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump for sale online | eBay

Okay quick question so if I get that pump you showed me for my vacuum distillation, could I just bypass the vacuum sensors that read the torā€¦ And just like let my pump run for an hour before starting, do they have some kind of cheap manual read out or something that I could get an idea if I was getting close enough, this is just for my personal use I wouldnā€™t even mind if I had to run at two or three times to get a decent material

I got a 18 year old e2m28 off ebay in 2015 (from phizer surplus) for around $2k. I used it for purging BHO for two years. I didnā€™t appreciate it because it looked to beat up. When I turned it on rubber material started flying out of it. It worked though. I changed the oil maybe once, and took really bad care of it. Last week I grew a pair, got the rebuild kit, and took it apart. The oil was at least 50% terps and there was some rust inside too. I cleaned meticulously cleaned her, replaced some seals, and put her back together with some love. Now sheā€™s pulling factory depth and sounds like a rolls royce. I CAN NOT believe how tough these pumps are. The thing was abused for years and is still preforming as if brand new.

It is VERY easy to just take the oil box off and really clean it out. I recommend that every few oil changes! (No kit or anything required)

7 Likes

You will want a vacuum sensor, thermocouple type most likely. You will need to be able to find leaks and really see what your system is doing.
Cheap pump probably wonā€™t cut it. Hey @Beaker show this young man how you used to steam distill extracts. I think you could find a happy medium between price and function like that.

1 Like

20 Likes

Wow this is cool! Have you performed any analytical analysis on this distillate?