Botched circumcision leaking

Catchy enough title?

Ok now that I’ve got your attentions, we had our feed port break and there seems to be a pinhole leak. Shitty short term “fix” which isn’t at all a fix was to smear some vac grease on it; but as suspected it’s causing contamination. So… I was thinking maybe Saran Wrap/cling wrap/cellophane or something around the repair area

This being said, does anyone have a better suggestion on leak-proofing a “botched” glass repair?

1 Like

Jb weld in a temp fix has done wonders for me in the past. I’ve been marine Tex for weird repairs lately with good success for water tight applications.

None of this is extract stuff. Household temp repairs

I don’t know if any work on glass but they work on a ton of materials. Can’t see glass not being one.

This is for windshield

J-B Weld 2100 Windshield Saver Repair Kit, 2 fl. oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBO0HAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_50BNTNWPMK8V6BV9HPPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And I just looked. Marine Tex says glass is something it’s compatible with

5 Likes

Amazon.com: Loctite Glass Glue 2-Gram Tube (233841) : Industrial &  Scientific

JB weld should work or something like this Loctite glass glue.

4 Likes

Yeah, I had someone suggest to me to use this pladoh epoxy - it’s grey on the outside white on the inside - but with it being vacuum I’m not too sure how well either would hold up.

I was thinking maybe just getting a stick of Boro and melting some more on it? But honestly thinking there’s gotta be a better/simpler fix

2 Likes

Hmm interesting, I’ll have to check that stuff out

That’s marine Tex. It’s works wonders.

It compatible and it’s water tight.

It’s not gonna be pretty but such be airtight

2 Likes

That’s only going to cause stress in the glass and lead to more damage if not properly annealed afterwards.

Post pics? I may be able to help with the repair if it’s just a pinhole.

5 Likes

I’ll get ya one in a second

Edit incoming…

Savagely bad photo…

Ignore all that vac grease, the pinhole is on the backside… but as you can see… kinda went ham trying to find it to seal it

1 Like

Haha yeah, it’s hard to see what’s going on there. If it’s just a pinhole, I’m pretty confident I could seal it up for you.

I see you’re in Canada, I’d be willing to do the repair free of charge as long as you cover shipping. Keep in mind no glass repair is ever a guarantee, but the odds are definitely in your favor on this one. Feel free to DM me if you want to work something out.

9 Likes

Post a proper photo of the damaged part please,

“Look past the grease”

Actually, no.

Everyone suggesting super glue and jb weld just failed their “GLGc” exam hard, on multiple fronts-

5 Likes

How big a hole? Wrapping that bitch with a bunch of teflon tape can do in a pinch. IME if you can’t plug it with teflon and a little grease, no glue is going to make it leak free, plus it’ll outgas into the system. Make friends with a lampworker who doesn’t suck

2 Likes

You are not going to see the pin hole…

I’ve wiped the joint clean and am on the road currently but I’ll take another one when I get back

What’s your suggestion to seal the pinhole in the glass repair @rowan

@FTGLabs

Why am i not going to see the picture hole?

What?

Do any of these welds and sealants offgas at 200c and 100microns?

Maybe run it at temperature while empty for a bit, just to allow some volitailes to blow by?

Or maybe get a new thing?

Voice to text over the car clearly wasn’t perfect… pin hole