Boiling Point of THC

no. or at least not the last time I talked to them. (two months?)

its been trained on flowers and “concentrates”, and does a fair job on those. it doesn’t know distillate well, and gets confused by isolate based on samples @Photon_noir has fed it (which I then looked at on an SRI GC).

3 Likes

I have my doubts about the test results

I"m running a 2L SPD/Welch 1400N 0.9 cfm would you suggest I increase my cfm to shorten time in system. Right now my runs are taking way too long IMO. I would think that 1000ml of 2nd pass should take around 6ish hours ?

I’m running right now with the welch mantel @ 200c / vapor 167.1c / micron 175

yes. upgrading your pump should be on your list.

You’ve got muliple folks suggesting 12-14cfm.
you’ve got 0.9cfm.
getting this right is almost entirely about how hard you suck.

@Beaker’s magic is possible because he runs a 21cfm pump on a tiny reactor, and achieves 0.75microns.

3 Likes

Carbon scrub , magsil ? DE ? Molecular sieves in ethanol ? Any of these can by acitic and create isomerization

1 Like

cool , thx guys ! looks like I’m gonna get a new pump

Yeah. The Sage is total bullshit for purified samples. It throws a “fit error” every time, no matter how I prepare the THCa or CBD isolates. Crushed, melted, decarbed, evaporated residue… they ALL fail, and now Sage has stopped answering my emails and calls. You have been warned!

8 Likes

Thanks for this. I just found that thing last week and was curious about it. @Photon_noir

Of course. I had high hopes, but have been severely let down by a couple of NIR cannabis analyzer companies, especially with regard to fairly pure samples. It seems the Sage’s high end is around 95%, and that only reads if it has the “correct” impurities… basically what I call distillate, they call isolate. Their engineer, Alex, told me his team had run numerous pure standards as well as all the other forms of concentrates to create their various algorithm models, but obviously they had never run anything more than 50% “like” my samples; no live resin crystals, no isolates (not even CBD!), and certainly no pure standards… and although he agreed to work with me and others to continue to make new concentrate models, he apparently lied about that, too. Very sad.

8 Likes

Thank you, Photon_noir. I had my doubts

Did you ever manage to get your run times down with the Welch? My boss pushed for the cheaper 2L turnkey from across international and I am planning to do the first distillation in a week or so and am worried about the vacuum. I can only pull down to 84 micron with nothing but bullseye gauge attached. AI wouldn’t even try to help solve the issue. Contacted Welch and finally got an email back telling us to check the gas ballast, hopefully that is open a little…

What cfm is the welch rated at ?

Lol it is the same as Srgeo420. Welch 1400N chemstar. 0.9 CFM… its really frustrating that this pump comes with a lot of turnkey setups around… I had read about people using the Welch for spd so I didn’t think much of it before the boss pulled the trigger but now have high doubts.
It fools some of us novices with the “ultimate vacuum depth” of .001 torr

1 Like

Yep and You should
Tell your boss to get a 2 ns hand good pump with a minimum of 8 cfm If he does not want smelly dark Distillate
Edwards,leybold,adixen , and Alcatel are often found second hand for decent prices
Two stage pump is what You Need
Figuring out a hose bulls eye and kf flange to take along When buying makes the chance of buying a good working pump more succes full

2 Likes

Another detail 84 micron on an empty rig is not so bad once dry ice in the coldtrap iT might crawl a little lower
If You manage to have the rig filled and temp set at 100C spinbar on and still below 100microns You are good to go

2 Likes

I do follow a few folks on IG who seem to produce well enough with the same setup but I guess we will see how it goes next week… lab is the butt of the business at the moment so I will be stuck with this until I produce enough to convince them to get me a new vac

Thanks a lot for your input @Roguelab

2 Likes

We enjoy a live tread on this forum for first time SPD runners so give a haul When starting probably we chime in to guide Where neccesary :+1:

6 Likes

I an running an Alcatel Adixen 2021i on my 2L setup, have got to 8 microns dry and down to below 40 at the end of my run. You might be fighting a leak, try some ptfe tape and grease, if that doesn’t help you could need a stronger pump… http://www.ptbsales.com/pfeiffer-adixen-2021i-rebuilt/

2 Likes