Boiling flask busted in rotovap, clean contaminated crude?

oh certainly! i know i need some pumps, but for for my small time use its hard to justify the cost on a small 3 liter Buchi roto. i think i could get pretty close if i just throw a small needle valve on the feed stock line. i could meter it more precisely then what the petcock is capable of doing.

Get a flask like this made

You can pump out your roto as it runs.

2 Likes

My collection flask has a petcock on it too but I would have to buy an expensive pump to get it empty lol.

3 Likes

This is the cheapest source I have found for pentane so far. I haven’t had any experience with hexane, but this stuff is an absolute breeze to recover and purge compared to heptane and pretty much any other solvent that stays liquid at room temp. What you save in time almost makes up for the extra cost.

https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-n-pentane-99-online.html

I almost bought from them but I realized I had $35 in eBay bucks so I used that to buy a liter of pentane hopefully that will be enough to recover my crude from my fuck up

2 Likes

I know for sure 2:1 extract to pentane volume was plenty, so hopefully 1:1 will also work.

Will the pentane strip the cannabinoids from the water alcohol mixture

It should. Ethanol and pentane are miscible, but when enough water is added it tends to lose that miscibility and prefer to stick with the water while the cannabinoids prefer the organic layer. I tried out Beaker’s tek using methanol and pentane instead of hexane and I lost very little to the aqueous layer. It seemed like a lot of the terps did stay in the aqueous layer, though. You may also want to do it in a few smaller steps given that you only have one liter of pentane to one liter of crude. As in do half your solution with 1 liter of pentane, reclaim the pentane, then do the other half. Or buy another liter of pentane right away. I’m only saying this as my experience was with 2:1 solvent to extract as I said. I’m not sure if you might lose some more cannabinoids to the aqueous layer if the saturation of the pentane is above what I did.

4 Likes

Need help.

Doing an experiment and my rotovap - usually i use a reactor - chipped and dumped some shards into my solution of distillate and hexane.

What is the best way to filter this out?

Can i do a cake and just knock out remediation of color too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Water wash with salt water or sodium bicarbonate. Make sure you create a equal water to solvent ratio.

1 Like

Would the shard get stuck in my glass reactor ?

If a plant solid would I’d suspect glass would as well.

I have 0 wiper knowledge, but from what I’ve read, absolutely zero particles.

1 Like

Thank you both of you @Demontrich

It’s lookin nice and pearly again :ok_hand:t3: