Blasts gold but darkens up?

First off THANK YOU Future4200 and community for existing. This is by far the best tool in my humble little lab. So I run a MarkIV cls (starter kit) so I blast as cold(-20 frozen columns 48+hrs) and fast as possible with n butane also chilled. I boil off and recover at 86f til about -5hg. Then poured off several small parchment squares about 315g divided into six evenish slabs. I allowed the oil to come up to temp(37c no vac) then when brought up to temp I whip vigorously and leave it until the next day. I typically get great/consistent results with smaller amounts but when scaled(pyrex) up not so much. As far as terp retention and sugaring I feel I nailed it but why the color change? Note: some of the mini-slabs nucleated  faster than othes so I combined them to accelerate.
1 Like
First off THANK YOU Future4200 and community for existing. This is by far the best tool in my humble little lab. So I run a MarkIV cls (starter kit) so I blast as cold(-20 frozen columns 48+hrs) and fast as possible with n butane also chilled. I boil off and recover at 86f til about -5hg. Then poured off several small parchment squares about 315g divided into six evenish slabs. I allowed the oil to come up to temp(37c no vac) then when brought up to temp I whip vigorously and leave it until the next day. I typically get great/consistent results with smaller amounts but when scaled(pyrex) up not so much. As far as terp retention and sugaring I feel I nailed it but why the color change? Note: some of the mini-slabs nucleated  faster than othes so I combined them to accelerate.

likely ramped up temps too high during the purge process

So I run a MarkIV cls (starter kit) so I blast as cold(-20 frozen columns 48+hrs) and fast as possible with n butane also chilled. I boil off and recover at 86f til about -5hg. Then poured off several small parchment squares about 315g divided into six evenish slabs. I allowed the oil to come up to temp(37c no vac) then when brought up to temp I whip vigorously and leave it until the next day. I typically get great/consistent results with smaller amounts but when scaled(pyrex) up not so much. As far as terp retention and sugaring I feel I nailed it but why the color change? Note: some of the mini-slabs nucleated faster than othes so I combined them to accelerate.

Lots of butane solutions look gold and then when concentrated end up darker. Ideal extracts should be very light yellow from the initial extraction. Too gold and it will be dark, one way to solve that problem is to use a mixed solvent. I see significantly better results from 70/30 butane/propane blend then I would if I used strait butane. You could also use a heat exchanger to further chill your solvent on injection.

4 Likes

I started with that blend, I miss it. State changed rules, our extractor is only approved for iso or n butane. Should be able to upgrade in before too long. I guess I’m so stumped with this texture because the same material I can turn into a great colored sugar wax, shatter or sauce and diamonds.

it should ideally be clear to very light gold because its so diluted

5 Likes

For sure and each of the 4 3"x36" columns I blasted into the same pot, looked bright as I have a sight glass at the top of the column. Again all the other textures are successful, its when I try to sugar it up is when the atrocity occurs.

maybe its just old material you ran?

1 Like

That or the time the plants was harvested

And blast colder to take out any other questions. -20 probably isn’t cold enough

4 Likes

70/30 mo betta imo

2 Likes

Should get better color running ISO butane and of course heat exchanger to chill the solvent. Are you soaking the material at all?

1 Like

Basically the time it takes to flood the column and push an extra lb into the pot. Then a quick 2lb top rinse. I do like iso. I’m aware of most my labs short comings, its just always a battle with the grow side for funding. just trying to make “yellow” lemonade out of lemons(without C.R.C) till I can upgrade. appreciate all the tips!

1 Like

Heat exchanger is a couple hundred bucks with a new line and could dramatically improve color. I feel the capital issue all to much so I know where your coming from on that.

You talking about coils you pack in ice? If so I’m using two on the recovery side. so take one and push from the tank through a coil in dry ice into column?

Yes. Dry ice iso slurry ideally. Will get you far below -20

1 Like

Isn’t it just dark because it’s fully nucleated. In my opinion some of that dark is simply because it’s nucleated, and now your seeing light refracting down and between the trich’s.

You can make a heat exchanger for less than $90.

50’ stainless wart chiller $65 on amazon

Swagelok compression fittings $20 ish…

I just built two of them. Gonna give them a test next week.

3 Likes