BHO comes out almost like water(clear)

Hi Guys,

i know the possible dangers of open blasting and do the best i can to minimize risks, i am saving on a closed loop…

Closed Column with dewax sleeves used blasted into mason jar.

So i recently run about 100g nugs i have personally grown and the same amount of trim from it.
I dried the bud and trim for 6 days and put it in the freezer for 12-16hours prior extracting. Then 2 hours of dewax dry ice cooling in the tube.
I run about 1000ml Butane to 100g buds. 10:1 Ratio

My problem is it always comes out like water and very clear no yellow colour or something like that also with the trim and i wonder how that could be?
Is it because of the dewax which makes every bud i run very clear?

I wonder because all the pictures of bho poures i saw have all a colour and are not clear as fuck.

Sorry for language mistakes english is not my mother language…

best wishes and thanks!

How much extract did you get?

2 Likes

Only about 9-10g and it is not even purged yet, sitting at the moment in the jar at room temp for crystalls.
Smells pretty good though.

I wonder why i got such a bad yield…
Packed the tube pretty tight but not too tight…

Did you get ice build up during freezing process? Yield will suffer if so.

2 Likes

Nope, i always freeze in airtight container.

I checked the bud i have run and i saw some buds still smelling and having trichoms, strange…

I will freeze the run material again and run it a second time i guess…
But i would really like to know why my yields suffer…

1000ml butane = 550 g you were closer to 5:1 ratio. I would recommend doubling the butane amount used. the only other factor that I would think it would be is pre mature material …are you able to scope your trichomes to get an idea of the color?

5 Likes

I’ve never suggested to anyone that they should freeze and then run material that was already dried. Freeze it when you chop or run it dry. And if you freeze it when you chop you’ll wanna flash freeze with dry ice before you put it in the freezer.

3 Likes

Fuck, thanks for that.

I will double the butane for sure!
And you are also right with your second guess i had to pull them early because of some hermie action going on.

3 Likes

I will keep that in mind too.

I had to process my stuff fast and wasnt sure if it was 100% dried after 6 days hanging so i thought if i keep it frozen all the time no water will get into my extract.

It was a conversion chart unused available online the other line was isobutane I think at 550g

unless you’re pulling a vac on that airtight container, you will still have moisture in there from the atmosphere inside the container. When you freeze it, it causes the moisture to freeze on the trichomes and prevent the solvent from getting inside. The only time I ever freeze my material is under full vac.

2 Likes

Thanks alot for that knowledge.

I will next time not freeze my stuff just use the dewax for 2 hour cooling and i also will put my butane cans in the freezer prior extracting.

So if i would bag my material and pull a vacuum and seal it i should be fine?

1 Like

yeah it helps greatly if you do it under vac. If your material is still wet though you can still run into the issue of moisture locking the trichs up, but if you are freezing live material you’re better off doing it with dry ice so it freezes quicker and prevents this too.

So is there no point in storing material in the freezer? I store excess material in freezer but I double or triple bag it, making sure to pull as much air out the first bag as possible.

Don’t put it in vac bag and suck air it’ll be rock hard

Vac chamber works great for not squeezing into a rock

1 Like

I’m not going to say there’s no point, there definitely is, especially for undried or long term storage - it will stay fresher that way. I’m just saying in my experience it’s a waste of time because I run it freshly after harvest anyway, and anything that isn’t run immediately just gets put in jars and run later.

I’ll only freeze if it’s live and not dried, but I rarely do that anymore because the hassle isn’t worth it for my own meds. I typically run 2 weeks after harvest when it’s dry. Running fast and cold solvent is the key to my process because it will pick up very little fats and the end result is to my standards. I didn’t notice a difference in my end product when I would freeze the material and run cold solvent, or just run room temp material with cold solvent - provided the material was thoroughly dried beforehand.

3 Likes

be careful with the cans in the freezer, if they were to leak it is an explosion waiting to happen. I used to do this all the time when I was open blasting… The risk is small but it’s still something to keep in mind.

I know in your original post you said you were saving for a closed loop, not sure if you had anything in mind yet but I’d recommend going through @Killa12345 on here as he can put together a great system for you at a cheaper price than you’ll find anywhere else for the quality that goes into it.

I recently upgraded to one of his units and can’t be happier with it. I’ll never go back to blasting cans through a tube again, especially after seeing the amount of nauseating garbage left behind from distilling a few cans of butane.

2 Likes

Ok so riddle me this Batman lol

For storage:
Wouldn’t freezing dried material slow down conversion of thca to thc? And things converting to CBwhatever? I may sound stupid but I think that’s the way it works, I’m no where near you guys level!

1 Like

Leaving dry Material out for weeks almost guarantees it will result in darker oil, also less terpy? We freeze as soon as its dry and run it as cold and fast as possible.

3 Likes