Best way to clean mixing beakers?

^ Yup. Had to clean my beakers with CLR to remove hard water deposits after rinsing with tap water and allowing to dry when I was new to all of this. Thankfully they were beakers and not hard to clean flasks. Sometimes my glass still has oily streaks and smudges after a rough acetone rinse and iso rinse, so I’ll clean them in a bucket of tap water and “purple power” degreaser, do a quick rinse with tap water, then rinse thoroughly with distilled water. If it’s a flask, i’ll do a quick rinse of the inside once more with iso or ethanol to speed up drying. I have never had any issues with residual soap scum from purple power. Dish soap on the other hand… :sob:

Acetone works fast, but I always make sure to rinse with iso or food grade ethanol afterward. I heard somewhere that hardware store acetone has a denatonium bittering agent in it, and while I haven’t heard of anyone having issues just using acetone, I like to play it safe to make sure I’m not contaminating my product. Denatured alcohol from the hardware store on the other hand for sure has bittering agents. I would avoid using that stuff all together.

2 Likes

The Best Way!!^^

1 Like