Basic SPD Questions & THC Reduction

Hi everyone, been reading a lot of really useful information so thank you for all the help.

I have been extracting for a while now. I’m in the UK, I have a friend in Spain who has tons of EU hemp (mostly Kompolti) so I’ve been using that to make CBD oils. I use a pretty basic ethanol set up as this is just for personal use, but I’ve had great results. I have some Chinese glass but its mostly from Chemglass UK supplier, GPEscientific.

I want to get into SPD but I think for a slightly different reason than most. Whereas most of what I’ve seen on here is about getting the purest, highly concentrated THC or CBD. I want to keep as much as I can in my extract - as full a spectrum as possible. But with little to no THC. At least under 1% THC.

My extractions come out about 50% CBD 3-4% THC. I have a friend in a lab so I can get accurate test which is useful.

This is my plan so far.

1. Get a decent SPD Head. I have everything else. My set up is only a 1L, I’m ok with doing (very) small batches for now.
  2. Get a vacuum gauge. I’m thinking a Testo 552 because they are an industry standard and decent price in the UK.
  3. Use 20g - 50g of extract. Is that enough, too much?
  4. Start the process and once I hit the THC/CBD, wait for X amount of minutes - take a sample for testing. Repeat a few times and see what results I get.

I only have a few concerns before I give this a go.

1. Has anyone had experience doing this? I understand that I will likely remove some CBD while reducing the THC. So I’m wondering how figure out when to stop? Trial and error?
  2. This may be common knowledge but, is there a way of calculating the boiling points of components at different vacuum levels? I’ve seen graphs of pressure vs boiling point for water but I don’t know how to apply that to THC etc?

This doesn’t have to be perfect for my first attempt, I really just want to see if its possible to reduce the THC without completely removing all the CBD. Thoughts?

Cheers guys.

1 Like