Back to basics: If you extract hemp at 0.3% THC content, will the extract have 0.3% content, or more due to concentration? If more, is that extracted product federally legal?

Hplc is for analytical work where you are loading micrograms or sample onto the column at a time - the columns themselves are about 4.6 x 150 mm (they range but to give an idea of scale)

Preprative chdmostorgaphy is intended for dealing with grams of sample to be purified. Generally prep systems, such as dynamic axial compression chromatography or flash chromatography, lack the fine resolution for analytical chromatography but the trade off is increased sample loading. These prep systems, like the analytical systems, will have a detector and plot absorbable vs time like an hplc. But the two systems are not the same.

Now days UPLC is being more of the standard for analytical work.

1 Like

You mean a flash system?

HPLC is for analytical work - column dimensions are small intended for micrograms of sample.

1 Like

If cbd is your target you may want to go with a reverse phase DCVC setup. The throughput is much higher than flash and you don’t have to pressurize a column. I’m pretty sure for CBD you should do reverse phase so your mobile phase is polar and your stationary phase is non polar.

2 Likes

KY Sen. Mitch McConnell is the most pro-hemp politician in the US Senate.

2 Likes

He’s also vehemently anti-pot and if you’ve watched any news lately, hiding from his constituents and junior congresspeople. He’s fucking worthless.

7 Likes

Thanks for the great info guys.

Does anyone convert the THC to CBN?

1 Like

People definitely do.

3 Likes

That sounds like the most cost effective way reduce THC content without diluting the other cannabinoids, yea? Does high CBN product deliver a good experience, does it make people sleepy, as I have heard rumors?

1 Like

In my experience, CBN is definitely more sedating, especially in the presence of b-myrcene. The highest concentration I’ve experienced was 30:1 THC:CBN. Tried it with and without native terpenes, noticeable differences to my assessment.

I would love to try it in ratio with CBD instead of THC and also in the presence of b-myrcene. I’d be willing to bet a 20:1 CBD:CBN oil would work wonders for sleep without as much next-day grogginess.

5 Likes

So to clean up distillate via THC → CBN isomerization, would isolating the cbd via recrystallization then heating the mother liquor again (like another SPD pass), maybe under acidic conditions, then recombining the isolate with the isomerized distillate be a reasonable alternative to chromatography for making THC free distillate?

5 Likes

CBN isn’t an isomer of THC.

THC - C21H30O2
CBN - C21H26O2

CBN is a degradation product of THC. You essentially have to loose 4 Hydrogen atoms from THC to get CBN. However, keep in mind that CBD is also the same molecular formula as THC albeit a little more stable but not immune to degradation.

You may wish to read this research paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236170001_Long_-_term_Storage_and_Cannabis_Oil_Stability

7 Likes

Makes sense! For some reason I thought more of the major cannabinoids had the same chemical formula, thanks for pointing that out. So what I should have said is that maybe degrading the THC to CBN via heat/light following CBD crystallization is a feasible alternative to chromatography. Accelerated aging.

That’s a nice paper :grinning:

2 Likes

D8, D9, CBD, CBC are all isomers for sure.

5 Likes

With this knowledge, are CBD companies just doing these extractions and adding carrier oils to lower the THC content of finished products?

1 Like

That’s one way to do it… but not ideal. You can isolate via crystallization (probably most common), use chromatography, or do a variety of chemical modifications (like oxidation and isomerization) to lower the d9-THC content.

2 Likes

Any suggestions for one of thee teks on a budget? We already purchase isolate, but want to do flower extractions for full spectrum products. We are currently making salves, and testing finished products at 0.1% thc currently. But this has me worried about storing any extracted oils before mixing them with a carrier. We are now using coconut oil to extract, but plan to get an ethanol set up and then infusing the yielded oil with coconut oil before making the salve. However we also want a full spectrum tincture which naturally will have less volume, 30ml compared to 60ml.

We can provide you with a budgetary proposal. Shoot me a DM.

7 per kilo is high af. I just bought an Oz at 5.50 per

I believe the post you are referring to is 2 years old.

If I have an extract product that weighs 30g and contains 0.3% THC, is it legal? Keep in mind that 0.3% of 30g is 90mg of THC… A standard dose of THC in most states is 10mg.