Back to basics: If you extract hemp at 0.3% THC content, will the extract have 0.3% content, or more due to concentration? If more, is that extracted product federally legal?

As the subject says…
It seems like there is some lack of agreement and potential grey areas. I tried googling, happy to read any sources. Thanks.

1 Like

it will be above 0.3% if you are extracting with a solvent that will be removed.

So yes, probably 95% of extraction methods will concentration 0.3% biomass to then be above 0.3% in the concentrate. Please tell this to the kentucky department of ag!!! They do not understand this concept or they just turn a blind eye to it.

You could extract with olive oil or some other oil but that leave a dilute solution of all cannabinoids.

Does this make sense to you?

5 Likes

Using @QGA 's logic, you may be able to dilute your extract with food grade terpenes. Not sure if this classifies as an adulterated product if you’re having to play by the book.

1 Like

It would have to be a ton of terpenes, .3% THCA of biomass on 1kg works out to three 3g per kilo of biomass, if you average 15% on the extraction of crude you end up with 150g total or 2% THCA content.

3 Likes

Takes money to make money🤷‍♂️

3 Likes

I believe @Akoyeh mentioned hitting 80% CBD on the last cryo-wash out of the CUP he is running

that came with 3%THC…

5 Likes

Are they just as dumb and worthless as the politicians from KY we see at the federal level?

4 Likes

Our biomass for CBD production is tested and certified as hemp within 4 weeks of harvest. We usually end up at about 16% CBD and 0.6% THC. Doing an extraction on the whole harvested plant and not bud only will reduce the THC content ever so slightly, but on average we sit between 65-75% CBD and 2% THC with our concentrate. We are doing cryo-ethanol extractions in the CUP 15. Our last extraction sat at 81% CBD and 3% THC.

The only way I know of to reduce those numbers is to make isolate. The further you refine it, the higher the concentration of all cannabinoids, including THC. Doing a separate LLE to wash it free of THC is the only way I can think of to help.

5 Likes

If you dilute with any carrier oil you will be diluting the cbd percentage egregiously. Also to add that much terpenes would be awefully smelling, tasting, and expensive.

It takes money to make money but if you are smart it takes less money to make more money than poophead dumping gallons of terpenes that generally appear in very low concentrations in the naturally occuring plant.

2 Likes

Ok so reducing a 3% thc content extract to .3% would require an insane amount of Terps. Let’s say 1000g crude would have 30 g of thc and for 30 g to be a total value of 0.3% of total weight, it would require total weight to be 10,000 grams meaning we would have to cut the crude with 9,000 grams.
Is my math correct here?

Yes, in other words this is a situation that is rather realistic in my point of view and shows how the process is not nearly as economical as finding a way to remove thc from crude.

After extracting from 0.3% THC biomass, a crude refiner produces a liter of oil registering 55% CBD and 2% THC by weight. In order for the processor to get this product into compliance, they would need to add 5.6 liters of a carrier oil to get the THC levels below 0.3% THC. Once you add 5.6 liters of carrier oil to reduce your THC to acceptable levels, you have also lowered your CBD level from 55% to 8.3%. In order to increase the CBD levels back to the proper levels the processor will need to add CBD isolate. This is very expensive process at $7,000 per kilo.

7 Likes

Most politicians are dumb and worthless baby! lol

"Disclaimer**** do not let this derail the conversation please it will get me in trouble again with the fuhrers of this website lolololo

5 Likes

I’d be curious what a thurough activated charcoal scrub might do, I know charcoal loves thca

1 Like

Have you heard of chromatography?

6 Likes

You would have to be extracting material with less than .005% thc it would seem. Male material maybe

All politicians are dumb. And please don’t call us fuhrer.

But I agree, dilution is only the solution to pollution, not THC. The best solution I’ve seen so far is to isolate the CBD from the distillate, then perform thc remediation via hplc on the remaining mother liquor, then reintroduce the CBD isolate back into the remediated mother liquor

15 Likes

Not bad, hopefully one day I can develop some new thc removal tech and sell/give you all my old one! Working on it now in my free time

2 Likes

What type of HPLC are you using and what kind of volume can you remediate daily?

My experience with HPLC is limited, but generally has been very small scale prep stuff in labs, like grams per day, so the idea of doing any kind of larger volume that way is pretty interesting.

I like the interchim Puriflash units. Starts at 1kg/hr for like $70k initial cost, and like $0.50/g to remediate accounting for media

8 Likes

Yes, the final product with thc concentration greater than 0.3% THC.

Start with 10000 grams of biomass, potencies are:

10 % cbd
0.3% thc

Grams of thc in biomass = 10000 X (0.3/100) = 30 g

You put the 10000 g of biomass through an extraction process. Your yield is 12.2% crude oil.

Crude yield = 1220 grams crude

You recover ethanol and your finished oil is 1187 grams.

This 1187 grams of finished oil has that 30 grams of thc you extracted from the initial biomass:

Percent thc by weight in finished oil = 30/1187 X 100 = 2.53 % thc

Percent cbd by wieght in finished oil = 1000/1187 X100 = 84.2%

Thing to note: the number of molecules of interest in the biomass is equal to the number of molecules of interested in the finished oil (assuming perfect extraction efficiency).

2 Likes