Automatic metadata removal?

@sidco would it be possible to implement something that automatically removes the metadata from pictures/videos as they are posted onto the forum?

2 Likes

YES PLEASE !!! :grin::grin::grin:
Get rid of that asap

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I did web dev, so it’s entirely possible there is a tool that does this, but it’s actually a reasonably tricky problem if you want to handle all use cases and metadata formats and such.

My gut days that it’s unlikely that this is an easily solved problem, but I’d be happy to be wrong. I think Discord automatically removes EXIF data, but anything farther is asking a LOT of the devs.

2 Likes

I know jack shit about web development but I guess I qas thinking there was some program available that interecepts files as they are uploaded and removes the EXIF data before the site attempts to host the file.

Would this be a chore for a web developer because meta data is stored differently for every different file format?

Basically, yes. It’s probably not file format, but rather the manufacturer of the device (camera, phone, toaster, whatever) that sets how the metadata is defined. But you’ve got the right idea.

2 Likes

We already do. In fact I am 99% sure the data is removed client side so it never touches the future4200 servers.
If you come across a picture with metadata let me know.

1 Like