Assistance with Manufacturing Scale Up - Topicals

Hi all,

New to the forum and thought I’d reach out to the community.

My partners and I make CBD skincare products and are in the process of scaling up our manufacturing capacity. We have had good success with the stability and performance of our formulations (face and body products such as lotions, creams, moisturizers, serums, gels etc.), but less success dialing in the production process with larger batch sizes.

Does anyone have experience in the formulation of high-end skincare products? and choosing the right equipment (High / low sheer mixers, vessels, heating / cooling) to produce at a scale of say 15-30k units / month? (Product size ranging from 1 - 8 fl oz)

We use a camframo overhead stirrer with dispersion or paddle blades, and cat scientific homogenizer depending on the product / production step.

Would love to connect with anyone who can shed light on the subject!

2 Likes

I make a lot of topicals on a large scale

Most recently scaled this company up from 5gal batch size to 35gal.

Salves, lintements, balms, oils, liposomal formulation, etc

Www.curiousontimacy.com

DM me for consulting rates

2 Likes

Will do, thanks for reaching out.

@CATScientific

For the volumes you’ve projected, if any of the lotions or serums have a viscosity of 1000 centipoise or less the X1740 / DK40 Inline Homogenizer could be employed. The device can process volumes up to 5000 liters an hour, and has a flow rate of 83 liters /min.

Here’s a video of the X1740/DK40 Inline Homogenizer: https://catscientific.com/the-cat-x1740-dk40-inline-benchtop-homogenizer/

1 Like

Looks good! I think this setup could work for a few of our products, although I don’t have values for the viscosity of any. Do you recommend any devices for measuring viscosity? Ideally fool proof but not too expensive?

As for a viscosity measurement, Castrol Oil is 1000 centipoise. If the media you desire to process has the same viscosity as Castrol Oil or lower the X1740/ DK40 Homogenizer can easily handle it. For a viscosity comparison put 500ml of Castrol Oil in beaker and pour into another beaker to see how it flows. Do the same with your media and if it pours like the Castrol Oil, you are good to go!

1 Like

I’ll try that as a starting point, thanks for elaborating!

What issues are you having with scaling so far? Just equipment not powerful or large enough or are you seeing issues with the products themselves?

@Dabatronicus are mostly having issues determining which equipment to purchase. Trying to decide what size production tank to upgrade too, along with the necessary mixing, heating, cooling required by our formulas. These are mostly water based products so proper mixing for stable emulsions will be our biggest concern I think.

Looking into 40 and 60 gal batch sizes.

We are pretty happy with the formulas for now :slight_smile: