Artificial/Synthetic/Natural cannabinoids: Semantics or mission critical distinctions?

Are these cannabinoids ocurcuring naturally and then extracted or are they all synthetic?

Synthetic cannabinoids dont come from plant material

Im assuming this is made from isolate so it would be hemp derived

3 Likes

As in converted, as in arguably semi-synthetic?

3 Likes

The short answer as asked is both. We are producing them via semi synthesis from hemp derived cannabinoids. However, compounds like 8-OH-HHC have been identified as metabolites of hydrogenated cannabinoids - that is to say, if you’ve consumed HHC then existing research supports the idea that you’ve had 8-OH-HHC in your system at some point while metabolizing HHC (which is arguably natural).

2 Likes

Semi-synthetic is the correct term.
It is built mainly from natural molecules wich are already complex and is achieved in very few steps.

4 Likes

That is correct, this is derived from CBD.

1 Like

Heres an exert from the us court 9th circuit of appeals ruling which talks about hemp derived cannabinoids

"The DEA explains the Farm Act does not affect “the control status of synthetically derived tetrahydrocannabinols” because hemp, as defined by the statute, “is limited to materials that are derived from the plant Cannabis sativa L.” 85 Fed. Reg. at 51,641. “This language suggests the source of the product—not the method of manufacture—is the dispositive factor for ascertaining whether a product is synthetic. A recent agency letter bolsters this understanding. There, the DEA clarifies that “synthetic” delta-8 THC is produced “from non-cannabis materials” and thus remains banned.”

21-56133.pdf (221.8 KB)

If you want to read the full ruling here it is

Yeah, and they state

Delta-8 THC is a chemical compound that occurs naturally in the cannabis plant, Cannabis sativa L., which can be grown into either hemp or marijuana (alternatively spelled marihuana) depending on cultivation method.

Suggesting that while they may haz an opinion, it’s not particularly well informed (on the difference between nature and nurture…).

@eyeworm

as a professed “not a chemist”, I can’t see any method (besides enzymagic) to get from CBD to THCV or THCP, so my assumption is those don’t qualify as hemp working with the DEAs definition of derived vs synthesized.

Am I missing a legit route there?

1 Like

Doesnt matter synthetics arent produced from the plant and the DEA knows D8 is made through conversions

"There, the DEA clarifies that “synthetic” delta-8 THC is produced “from non-cannabis materials” and thus remains banned.”

Synthetic thcs are defined in the CSA as being synthetic equivalents of the banned THCs, d8 is one that is listed but the farm bill excludes any hemp derived cannabinoid from the CSA as long as it’s under .3% D9. Hhc or any of its analogues are not included as they’re not thcs

1 Like

?!?

What doesn’t mater?

That the court doesn’t grok nature vs nurture?

Or that THCP and THCV as offered on the market are clearly synthetic and not hemp?

2 Likes

This literally makes no sense. His product is made from a natural product which makes it hemp derived

Thc p isnt listed under the code for thcs in the CSA so whether you agree with it or not its not controlled. Neither is thc v which is why people can make them synthetically and not get in trouble. Thcp they could get you for the AA but thc v isnt psychoactive so they couldnt.

Made from or is a natrual product?

The difference is incredibly important.

I remember you referencing that synthetic cannabinoids that are derived from hemp are not synthetic because they are sourced from a material where they can occur naturally

In this case, they’re not naturally occuring are they?

If a semantic oversight has created a loophole for synthetics… even semi-synthetics to be marketed.

It needs to be corrected.

You’re making even less sense…

Sorry youre too stupid to understand simple english

Ive already explained it once if you dont get it theres no help for you.

It doesnt matter if its naturally occuring or not, if its not listed in the CSA its not controlled. Synthetic equivalenta of Marijuana are listed and Marijuana itself is. So how would this be listed if it isnt in the plant? Think real hard on this, don’t hurt yourself though.

Heres the CSA listing for THCs (which doesnt include thc v or thc p or any hhc)

Marijuana and cannabimimetic agents are also listed but they are not on that list either. Just because something is synthetic doesnt make it illegal if its not controlled

1 Like

As does the courts statement that it is the GROWING CONDITIONS that get you marijuana vs hemp

Cannabis sativa L., which can be grown into either hemp or marijuana (alternatively spelled marihuana) depending on cultivation method.

So their “opinion” is not a well informed one.

It IS their opinion, and we ARE stuck with it. That doesn’t mean we should be proud of it.

1 Like

It’s all coming together now… it just clicked.

you must be abusing the loophole for profit

Must be a good cash flow, you’re trying real hard to defend your semi-synthetics.

Health Canada started a review panel of semi-synthetic cannabinoids in Sept, 2022.

I’d imagine similar panels are underway in the US equivalents.

I’d also imagine when they finish their studies, all semi-synthetics cannabinoids are going to be abruptly outlawed entirely.

Can’t wait to see this garbage off the market!

I’m curious if they’ll treat any of this stuff as adulterated food/mislabeled drugs, a bill failed in IN to protect people from that law

2 Likes

This isnt even a word used in our farm bill you realize this right? What is a semi synthetic? Its not a hemp derived cannabinoid I know that!

You obviously dont understand how scheduling of drugs works in the US

Its not really a loop hole when its plain as day defined by the law…

“Any material, compound, mixture or preparation”

Key words being ANY

1 Like

We definitely arent supposed to be putting any of this stuff in food, the FDA has made that pretty clear.

2 Likes

In the case of cannabinoids:

Semi-synthetic implies chemists modified an organic substance derived from nature with fully synthetic reagents.

This is the root cause of the hemp derived converted cannabinoid loophole, I’d imagine current research panels are going to provide evidence of negative health effects of semi-synthetics prompting the correction in the very near future.

Can someone clean this thread up and let baby huey pose hypotheticals somewhere else other than a sales thread @sidco thaaaanks 0cool

3 Likes