Are all full-spectrum extracts created equal?

I’m looking into full-spectrum extracts and I’m curious if there are any discrepancies between extraction techniques. Are any terpenes or cannabinoids lost through the different techniques?

Full spectrum is more of a marketing than technical term. One could argue that only RSO is full spectrum. Cannabinoids and terpenes in my opinion can only be considered as broad spectrum at best. There is much more active compounds than just the two mentioned.

2 Likes

It’s a marketing term for sure. I think of full spectrum as an item that has THC,CBD,CBN and other minor cannabinoids, along with a strong terp profile. It could be argued that even plant fats and lipids have something to do with the effect of the plant, so it really depends on the personal definition. I feel we need standardized terms and definitions for the industry so customers aren’t so confused.

1 Like

From a phytochemical point of view there are 14 main groups of usefull compounds in plants. Cannabinoids and terpenes cover 2. So hardly a full spectrum.

6 Likes

Wow I did not know that many were useful. Is there any data that shows how each compound modulates cannabinoid reuptake? Do they have known effects on their own?

Main ones are:

• waxes
  • mucuses/gums
  • lipids
  • flavonoids
  • anthocyanins
  • coumarins
  • anthracompunds
  • tannins
  • essential oils
  • phenols
  • saponins
  • iridoids
  • alkaloids
  • cardenolides

There is so many different effects between them that it’s a massive task to find all the possible interactions.

And in the cannabis context looking just at CB receptors is not enough. For instance wild rue will increase effects of THC but it doesn’t affect CB receptors at all and it doesn’t modify the way THC works. But it is acetylcholinesterase inhibitor and also reversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase…

That explains why recent research on synergy effect of cannabinoids and terpenes concluded that there is none. They were looking only at CB receptors.

Anyway look at pharmacognosy. It experiences quite a revival recently.

12 Likes

That explains why recent research on synergy effect of cannabinoids and terpenes concluded that there is none. They were looking only at CB receptors.

Wait, really? Where can I find this research?

Butane extraction creates the best “full spectrum” extract

5 Likes
3 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks!

From my understanding so far - full-spectrum and broad-spectrum are largely just bullshit marketing terms. Unless they include the various compounds that Borysses listed out, the extracts are only a shadow of what they could possibly be.

With that said, are there any extraction techniques that preserve the majority of these compounds? If I have a product that says “full spectrum hemp oil” on it, what are the chances that I’m getting more than just terpenes and cannabinoids?

Everything we do with cannabis are slightly modernised techniques used by perfume manufacturers and herbalists for centuries.

Steam distillation will produce essential oil. But it will most likely damage heat sensitive compounds.

Hot (but not very hot, more like room temp up to 70C) hydrocarbon solvent extraction, after evaporation of said solvent will produce Concrete. Basically that’s what RSO is but developed generations before Rick was even planned.

Concrete can then be dissolved in alcohol and winterised. Winterised extract is called an Absolute.

Cold extraction targeting oleoresins will produce a Resinoid.

Combine essential oil with resinoid and you have a broad spectrum.
Combine essential oil with an absolute and you have a full spectrum.
Combine essential oil with a concrete and you have a full plant essence.

But absolute alone can be considered full spectrum if solvent evaporation is done under reduced pressure and temperature so fragile compounds are preserved.

6 Likes

This is a great response, thank you.

What is the difference between full spectrum and full plant essence, compound wise? And how does a CO2 extraction fit into these categories?

Full spectrum should have all the active and supporting compunds. Full plant essence will also have undesirables. Like polysaccharides in cannabis context. They are valuable in some cases but cannabis doesn’t have them in any meanigfull quantity so there is no point in keeping them. If you need to protect your mucus membranes with polymer film it’s better to extract common comfrey for it.

For sure the best option is to start subcritical to get the terpenes and then ramp up to get cannabinoids.

I only have experience with CO2 extracted crude from Pulawy in Poland. It’s terrible and right now I’m cleaning a batch for a client and I hate it. Low canna content, tons of waxes and lipids. Chlorophyll off the chart.

1 Like