Are aged forest products in soil a breeding ground for bacteria?

For counting, we report whole numbers. Usually down to 10 CFU/g, but we can get down below when necessary.

Larger sample sizes, such as 25g, use more consumables to test so it typically costs more to do.

We ask for at least 2g for micro testing in cannabis (prefer 25g), but we test up to 375g per sample in other industries we now work in.

PCR depends on the method, but normally reporting qualitative presence or absence for pathogens.

6 Likes

If they are using qPCR, there is a formula for number cycles to hit a certain fluorescence threshold controlled by amount of template and equating that to CFUs. Could lead to that many decimal pointsā€¦ Ifn they didnā€™t have the sense to round the calculation.

5 Likes

Yepā€¦and ifn the lab director donā€™t grok the math, at some level youā€™ve got to question the rest of their workā€¦

That math tells you how many templates there were when DNA was isolated. Depending on growth rate, each colony forming unit (live critter) may have multiple complete (and near complete) genome copies.

Still takes an idiot to claim they are measuring to 0.001 CFU

2 Likes

These results are from a 5 gram sample of dried flower.

Thatā€™s what you handed them. Doesnā€™t mean thatā€™s how much they actually analyzed. Chances are they kept at least 1/2 of that so the can go again if something goes sideways (machine goes down, tech drops sampleā€¦.)

1 Like

Right. Yes. We only submitted 5 grams

1 Like

They do not spray foliar or even feed the plants. All they do is water after planting in Coco Loco

They need to clean the room more, whens the last time the inline fans or circulating fans have been sanitized?
A fog of HOCL works well to sanitize surfaces that are hard to reach

5 Likes

How? No nutes?

2 Likes

I specifically add aged forest products to my soil to breed bacteria and fungiā€¦

9 Likes

Makes sense.

I havenā€™t tried it on cannabis, but a light bleach solution is a miracle fungicide for tomatoes. If a crop is failing for microbials, a pre harvest spray of peroxide or some light sterilizer might be worth trying.

1 Like

Trying to grow sterile plants is going to be difficult since itā€™s common to see similar coliform counts in rockwool and salt grows. The coliform are beneficial to the plants and the majority of it is harmless to us. Trying to grow sterile plants is going to be very difficult since they are fighting nature and life finds a way.

The most feasible way to deal with unreasonable legislation like this is post harvest ozone, cl2, or one of the xray sterilization setups. Unfortunately they all boog the product to some degree. PCO air purification in the cultivation rooms will bring counts down, but I canā€™t guarantee it will get to a passing level.

3 Likes

I have foliared cal and sodium hypochlorite up to 800mv orp without noticeable negative effects. I have not tested it against coliform, so Iā€™m not sure if it will help op.

3 Likes

So hereā€™s another plot twistā€¦they are wet trimming

While I wholeheartedly agree that the bacteria and fungus we kill in the soil with Roundup and other shit is one of the primary disruptions to our Shikamate pathway and our endocrine systems, I am trying to help this company achieve compliance at the moment.

I wish they had hired me for advocacy but thatā€™s not the agreement unfortunately :confused:

Itā€™s definitely counterintuitive to strive for sterility for those who understand the importance of the microbiomeā€¦but gotta pay the bills ya know?

1 Like

Update on my clientā€™s situation;

New harvest analytics show passing numbers on all microbials.

Still waiting on 3rd part due diligence results for failed batch. Will keep you posted on outcome

2 Likes

Sounds like the situation up here, I was touring a facility and they had PM I said right to the ceo, this will pass testing? They said all depends what lab they send it to. To me the thc testing is bs but itā€™s unreal that certain labs will pass a dirty product ri get more business

3 Likes

Oh ya the corruption is bullshit but inevitable and labs get shut down for fixing analytics in sophisticated markets regularly.

PM in California is considered a foreign object contaminant and products will pass testing so long as the PM doesnā€™t cover more than 25% of the surface area.

1 Like

Unfortunately itā€™s real as fuck. Check out this lab that got caught fixing results just recently!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjHXZhrLSa6/?igshid=NGIzOGRhOTI=

2 Likes