Anyone seen anything like this during a SPD run with pesticide material?

Pesticide material that was also very very poor quality biomass that we are running as a favor for a farmer.

Never seen anything like this before.

This was the heads section…

Now it’s running fine in the mains

This is all first pass of course

Just bizarre shit

1 Like

Wtf?

Kinda looks like fats/waxes. What’s the ambient temp of the room?

1 Like

I’ve seen this before on a thc distillation early on in my career. It happened on a second pass terpene strip in a wfe. It smelled awful and was foamy coming off and waxy after we depressurized. This was pre legalization days so idk what it was or could have been.

@Demontrich It looks like neem oil

3 Likes

What where your parameters when this started and finished
If head temp and vacuum depth are known bp at atmospheric pressure can be calculated and the search can be narrowed down and begin

1 Like

Yeah my guess would be oil that was sprayed on as a foliar

3 Likes

Fucktons of neem or azatrol or similar oil based spray

Probably applied heavily close to harvest date.

1 Like

Keytones. Proteins. Sugars and aldehyde s do this.

1 Like

Oh I might also add…

Zero char on the ball. Can’t be waxes/fats.

If that’s what they were, I’d see it crusted all over my boiling flask

1 Like

Ambient room temp is 75F

System maintained normal vac depths. Hit mains around 150C as usual.

Was winterized at -80C for 12-16 hours.

Filtered through DE T5 AC patty pre winterization just cause I was throwing every media I had on hand at it cause it was very very very poor material.

Was tested hot for pesticides farmer told us he sprayed during grow cycle and pre harvest.

As a rule I never work with pesti material so that may be why I’ve never seen this before cause I’ve ran ALOT of material.

1 Like

Looks like sulfur in the oil

I don’t envy the cleaning after running pesticide treated material, too. The invisible enemy likes to linger if not done properly. Vaya con Dios y buena suerte amigo.

Sulfur has that noticable smell, rotten eggs.

Any smell?

Scrub ALL the things…

Anyone had any dealings with reclaiming etoh from pesti material ? I’ve quarantined any etoh used to process this shit as in sure there’s contamination in it even after being recovered

Post redistillation after coming into contact with as many as seven different pesticides, we sent some out for testing. It was 190 proof organic ethanol, and it came back completely clean. Didn’t even fraction any off. Not sure how it would be with CDA12A, if that’s what you’re using. Seems like the pesticides want to stick with the crude (and on down the line).

We used IPA and alconox in alternating washes. Finished with distilled water, and we tossed (in accordance with local regulations) all of the cleaning solvents. Popped again on different biomass, and repeated the cleanings ad infinitum and sprayed for clean equipment. Absolutely maddening.

Really so didn’t come over with the etoh at all?

Found residual on the equipment when wiped. I couldn’t find rhyme or reason why it stuck better to some things than others, but we also sent swabs from various pieces of equipment when we sent out the booze for testing and those tested hot but the ethanol didn’t. It stuck to glass, metal, and various gasket material types, but the ethanol was okay. :man_shrugging:

Edit: It could also have something to do with the types of pesticides we had present. Spinosad, bifenthrin, and I really don’t remember the rest. I’m not with that lab anymore, so sorry about not remembering the rest or having access to those results.

2 Likes

Hold on Barney !!
So your equipment was contaminated
But your solvent wasn’t
The pesticides had greater affinity to certain materials than others
Man really to bad all these test can t be retrieved :cry:
Interesting data on pesticide affinity

3 Likes