Anyone have some tips or suggestions for disposing of worn out LED?

After more years than recommended I have 16 worn out Kind K3 L600’s that have seen better days. I have replaced the diode cluster plates as they burn out after the original 3 year warranty so all of them are still very functional but there are way better and more efficient LED’s now available. Question is what the hell to do with the old Kinds. I have repurposed about a half dozen of them to be used in clone and early teener production but still have 16 that need to be discarded… They are all still fully functional with no burnt diodes… any ideas??

2 Likes

Look up local non profit agricultural programs or a community college. There has to be someone out there that would utilize these in a positive way.

3 Likes

Local high school

4 Likes

People with greenhouses maybe, or on Craigslist as-is in lots of 5 or 10

4 Likes

Trade em for some food or just give em away at the farmer’s market. Someone there will put them to good use.

4 Likes

What do you want to do with them we’re you I would like to try in a green house I was going to do auto flower and the add light would do wonders I bet and on regular plants you could definitely change the photo period and make them go early no depo 18 - 6 the autos would get huge but that’s just more work all summer no time off be trimming or fresh frozen all the time.??? Let me know I will obviously pay for the shipping but you would have to do quite a lot of the leg work to ship or come get

2 Likes

I was thinking more in terms of this being a recycling issue but your thoughts on others actually putting them to use is a great direction. As I said… all diode clusters are working and I even have a couple of dozen replacement clusters to send along with them.

To donate them to a non profit or something of the sort really sparks my interest. I don’t want to sell them as I know they work but they are worn out. I also don’t want to donate them to someone who is going to monetize them unless that donation is to someone who would otherwise not be able to grow at all. Helping someone to help themselves is my idea of a good deed… giving back is what it is all about

4 Likes

I’m a disabled veteran that in Michigan is a caregiver for 5 patient and we also run a qualifying clinic I donate as much medicine as the patients need for free they are sick they can’t work they can’t grow most of these people are on there last years and I like to see them get pain free years out of there life’s most of them need the rso and edibles tinkure sauves and some flower if they had to go buy it from a dispensary they would never be able to . The federal government is starting to allow veterans to test positive they are doing the don’t ask don’t tell there are quite a few VTs clubs that are and for moneystrying their best to help them out with very little outside moneys and because it’s not federally approved we’re not having any government agency help with cost lots of these vets are on a fixed income ( ie social security) and nothing else I hate to bag on the nonprofits but churches schools (RAD) For medical experiments. All those nonprofits have some of the biggest ,newest,nicest buildings in ever town .almost always that is the truth have you ever seen a church ,school ie nonproft have to fire or lay people the vadican city is one of the weathest places on earth. Instead of living hi on the hog limos jewelry the Vatican building when they drive around waving they should be throughing out gold dollars in those 3rd world countries. In the past years attendance is going down slowly so they just change the rules so it’s all right to bring more people back because the tidings and attendance have been drastically