Anyone have experience with hazy distillate after cooling in fridge or room temp?

Ran some material a few days ago everything looked perfect, Temps were really low, cut my fractions off intime material looked completely translucent and clear from the collection flask. After cooling to room temperature it looked a little hazy from a different angle I looked upclose and it looked fine. I airtight closed the flask. A few days later I came to empty out the fflask in a jar I noticed it looked a little hazy, its still translucent a bit but still hazy I took a before and after picture, I can’t seem to figure out whats wrong, winterized it 2 times, filtered it 5 times, 10 micron, 5 micron, 0.4 micron, celite 454 cake and AC filtered. The last 2 pictures are how it looks after putting it in the fridge a few days. Anyone experienced this before any suggestions?

Is it CBD?

You have to you works on removing those terps.

Is that what that is the Terpenes still in there?

Search results for 'hazy' - Future4200 suggests fats/waxes

You winterized twice; at what solvent ratio?

If you use too much solvent, you leave fats/waxed behind.

2 Likes

4 to 1 I used denatured ethanol with Heptane

Heptane held onto the fats?

Does Heptane really do that ?

yeah, nonpolar solvents don’t work like polar solvents for winterazation.
winterize it again with 190 etoh, If I were a betting man I would say you got waxes in your distillate.

5 Likes

After winterizing it again how should i filter it AC one more time? what filter media do you usually use?

You shoulden’t need to use any special filter-aids, run a filter paper, or filter paper with celite 545 if your fancy. Its just a plain jane vacuum filtration.

you got a specific goal other than filtration, perhaps color remediation?

1 Like

What are your recommendations on color remediation? Whats your SOP

1 Like

I usually use celite for 4th filtration then add AC directly in the jar and filter it through a AC cake

Dissolve distillate in a nonpolar solvent like hexane, heptane, or pentane at a 1:4 ratio, then perform a pressure filtration through a column loaded with bentonite like b80 or t-5 with a layer of silica 60 sandwiched between the layers.
You could try it with a buchner funnel, but you might boil the solvent. Pressure is better for this.
Also side note, re-distillation of resin may cause isomers to form. I like to perform this last.

3 Likes

You don’t get a/c fines from that?

1 Like

4:1?

I’d be concerned about loosing cannabinoids at that ratio.

Are you certain it’s 190 you’re using? ie: if you’ve recovered this solvent and are reusing it, have you used a proofing gauge to confirm it’s still at 190?

2 Likes

I usually preload the bed at a concentrated ratio, the run pure solvent after the inital dose of resin. This loads the column more like a proper chromatography vs a filtration for adsorption.
Sorry should of mentioned the extra solvent, I am busy as heck over here.

1 Like

You didn’t winterize properly

4 Likes