Any SOP on terpene extraction?

That’s the best use for them. It just seems like a waste to have a supercritical system that is always run cold and low pressure.

I’m old too . Use your phone to make videos . Sorry if I’m dumb, but documentation is documentation .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T9UZtSuPu4eJkpuf8

2 Likes

So what am I looking at ?
What’s in the boiling flask ?
What type of ice is in the receiving flask ?

@Roguelab sorry I was taking the tutorial . It’s a hack “terpine” rig . If u control vacuum very carefully, it can separate some of the lighter fractions . My favorite is when it tastes like it’s still growing :person_shrugging: . Fresh frozen trim, jammed in a boiling flask, pulled some vacuum, and condensed . This is the (water?) I pulled . I’m distilling the “water” . Doesn’t exactly smell like water . I’ll get better at this, and documentation . Thanks

1 Like

Exelent keep us posted looking good
The new summit 7 head wich runs completely horizontal does almost the same trick
I would recomend staying as horizontal as possible on the head for less resistance
Keep it up :+1:

3 Likes

I have found a slight angle to work better for me . I’m gonna check out summit, just in case :wink:

1 Like

We used a mint still and fresh hemp (oregoncbd) with pretty solid results. Not as refined as CO2 or vac steam but… for quantity I don’t think it can be beat. This was done before forced air drying. From 500 lbs of fresh flower we were pulling about a liter on average.
6 psi steam (filtered water)
1 hr run time (or until oil stops collecting)
there was a notable loss of cannabinoids from the dried product, 2-4% loss.

8 Likes

1)Attach a SS coil submerged in 50C Water and a Nitrogen tank with regulator.
2)Assemble a jacketed SS column (pumped with 50C water) with a filter plate on the bottom.
3)condenser (with saline ice water pumped through it) with a T and Sep Funnel attached to the bottom.
4) dry ice cold trap and vacuum pump regulated to (50,000 micron)

Run 10psi nitrogen once u are under the right vac, columns with a diameter of 6" or more should use agitation.
If you had two columns setup and valves on either side of the hose lines, you can swap out columns to keep it constantly running. Or attach multiple columns to one condenser and pump system. As long as each is getting it’s own heater nitrogen pushed thru it

13 Likes

Concept for terp distillation ?
Wich tube contains biomass
What heats it ?

Biomass goes into the tube in the Section 2 of the diagram.
U can use a heating element with water circulating with an aquarium pump.
The column is jacketed and has its line ran into the same cooler the SS coil is submerged in, both kept at 50C with a heating element and PID.
Now that I think about it, is it better to drop the vac much deeper and go for Sublimation? Like in a freeze dryer?

2 Likes

I think that a deeper vac would be best but when adding nitrogen hmmm that will be hard :smirk:

This is the hydro distillation/steam distillation under vacuum. There are multiple examples of this in the patent and academic literature.

If anyone’s interested in this kind of thing, my partner have talked about building a turn-key system. I’m not a fan of the Frankenstein’s that some have sold as finished product. I’m just wondering what you all hope to get out of a single run since terp levels vary a lot by chemovar and material quality.

3 Likes

Who are you addressing?

Milestone is great for microwave steam distillation. tested with their 12L system, but it is a very limiting size unit. Their big unit is priced too high. Had great results of terps that were crystal clear. Tested both dry cured and fresh frozen plant material. The spent deterped plant material can be used for distillation after the biomass has been dried. Reach out to them they are very nice and will set up a demo at your facility.

1 Like

any updates on temperatures to run the Short path at? I pulled terps off of my CO2 extractor and need to distill them but im not entirely sure how to go about it.

The tech is simple but not guaranteed you get all terps to distill
Place in boiling flask and pull full vacuum it s important to be below 10 micron if a difffusion pump is at hand use it and have the condensor set cold -5C
Slowly start ramping temps with 15 min intervals until reaching 40 C
Some terps boil of super slow so need al lot of patience
It s more like evaporation without boiling as a matter of fact

4 Likes

Could one take some fresh materials, pack it into a spool with a filter plate at the bottom. Attach said spool to a vessel with water in it. Pull vac on this chamber, put in a warm water bath, and have another chamber connected to this in a colder container to condense the water and terps? Then pour into a separatory funnel to separate? Or am I simplifying this too much?

1 Like

Nope that will work yield are low I mean LOW but that’s basicly steam distillation
The bitch part is your biomass gets fucked

2 Likes

Around 100C. I would set boiling flask to 100c and from what i experienced, the boiling flask with jump past the set point while it spits out terps and then it will balance out in temp indicating its through that fraction.