Alcohol Still

In the market for a moonshine still and wondered if any GLG member makes and/or sells them.

Got my eye on an 8 gal copper dual purpose pro kit from Mile High but I’d rather spend my money in the community if possible.

All advice is welcome and appreciated. I know there’s experienced brewers and distillers among us, and I’m pretty new at it.

6 Likes

Build your own is your handy, check out the forum home distiller there’s lots of great info there, I built my own 2" reflux still with a beer keg as the boiler.

2 Likes

Maybe @DeutscheProcess has some input? They like stills over there :joy:

10 Likes

Damn, that looks pretty.

3 Likes

Get some sheet metal, and make a little submarine still. It’s easy to see, and form the top and arm after you build the still. Use a wort chiller, or something for the condenser. I really wish I wasn’t an alcoholic because I could make some bitching liquor

4 Likes

I’ve made 2 stills over the years. 1 -10 gallon, 1- 50 gallon Gave them both away.

4 Likes

I considered building one. Thing is, most of my life, I’ve been Mr. DIY. I’m older now, and after manifold projects, I’d like to just curate a solution. Paying the grand for a turnkey machine is my jam in this case. Hell, at that rate, and with my recent consumption, this thing pays for itself within the year…

@Soxhlet I heard you may be super knowledgeable in this area?

4 Likes

HI,
What type of liquor are you trying to make, any preference to style? How many gallons of mash are you looking to boil at a time? What type of heating system would you like to use gas vs electric?

8 Likes

I’m looking to make all types of liquor. Tequila and mezcal are my preference, and sadly neither are available to me for obvious reasons, so I’ll settle for whisk(e)y, rum, vodka, and likker.

Been drooling over the Mile High Distilling 8 gal copper dual purpose pro kit because it allows pot and reflux distilling, is complete with 110v electric option, and would allow for cajun cooker, propane stove, or even coal bed in the yard.

4 Likes

If I was to do it again. I’d go reflux, so u can change up the stack to make slightly different batches with the same unit.

3 Likes

The unit I’m considering should do all of the above with little trouble, I’m just seeing if the funds belong in a different, closer bucket.

3 Likes