Adequate vacuum pumping for 2l and 5l spd

Good morning everybody. I’m sure im being redundant here, but i looked and couldn’t find the answer i need. I’m planning on buying my spd apparatus from Lanphan and i just cant make sense of these vacuum pumps. I can get a very lightly used welch 1400 duoseal from a friend for 1500 but is it worth it?
?Whats wrong with this guy for $150?

Or is the dxz where it’s at?
Do you need more power for cbd vs thc? I’m just working with cbd flowers. I would very much appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the matter.

That rotary vane pump you listed wont even come close to the vac depth you need. Grab that welch, youll need that one or one like it.

Leybold trivac
Alcatel 2021i
Welch 1400
Are all great vac pumps.

3 Likes

So the welch pulls to .13 micron where the cheap pump claims 2.5 micron. Wouldn’t 2.5 be enough to boil cannabinoids somewhere around 55-60 degrees? Whats the boiling pt on your system? I had to use a regulator with the welch to keep consrant pressure without boiling the recovery flask. I guess i was doing something wrong. Im just getting started, teaching myself ive done 2 small runs with my friends equipment and i just found a financier to get my own.

Well those two runs Where not cannabinoids at 50/60 degrees nor even When calculating in kelvin😀
Yes vacuum is everything
Those cheap pumps have cheap seals
And terpenes chew them up fast
Trya second hand lab vacuum pump
Beter option Edwards as a brand missing on the list above with a minimum of 8 cfm on a 2 liter rig but prefurably larger cfm like 16
On a 5 liter rig minimum of 24 cfm

3 Likes

Heres where im gettin numbers from? Do they add up?

Does anyone know how to use the clausius-clapeyron equation?

My head temp was 127 when i started condensing oil on my practice run. But like i was saying the welch wasnt down as far as itd go.

Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Ive hooked up one of these cheap pumps as a “roughing pump” and was never able to get below 5000 micron on ramp up, those numbers you are seeing are for a very small load or just evacuating a chamber, not really for processing. If this is ur first run, fuck it, use the cheap one sell the oil to someone who doesnt care about color, or better yet someone who uses it for edibles. Then take that money and buy yourself a used pump off ebay or one the pumps listed above. I really dont think u want to risk 5k worth of oil just to save 2k

FYI i got my Edwards 18 from ebay for 800 bucks and it pumped down to 6 micron when i got it (on an empty system) and goes down to 36ish micron during main body.
Make offers and low ball the hell out of them, u might be able to get someone to meet u in the middle. The edwards 18 was listed at 1.8k and i lowballed to 500 and he took 800 after going back and forth multiple times. This was after lowballing people for weeks

3 Likes

Im seeing lots of options the more i look. Im gonna buy one of those 1hp cheapos just to try it for myself.
And get a proper one as well depending on what i find

How do you feel about the dxz series from lanphan?

Is there an affordable way to accurately measure those deep vacs? I bet someone heres selling one

There are a few used alcatel 2021 on ebay for 350 or so. Grab one of those. They are well worth it. Many spd guys on here use one. Check craigslist also. I scored my trivac from there. It came out of MIT.

2 Likes

thanks, I’m more confused than ever now, lol. That Welch 1400 is only 0.9 cfm and people seem to love it for spd. I’m talking about a small 2.0L. Do I really need 8 CFM? Looks like a refurbished Edwards will do 15cfm for less $ than Welch What’s the deal with that?

Dude, vacuum pump pricing makes zero sense to me as well. The only thing I know for sure is I’ll always buy a rotary vane pump used and likely always on eBay. Even the really nice ones seem to hold their value like a cheap Nissan. I probably overpaid for my refurbished Alcatel 2021i ($800) but it pulled all the way down to 3 microns out of the box and I am more than impressed with its performance on my 2l rig. My only regret was I didn’t buy it a week earlier or wait another week for the cheaper ones to start getting listed again.

What do you think about the Leybold d2.5e?

0.9 cfm is a route to failure
A SECOND hand pump that only go s. To 50 microns even thou rated at 1 micron
Is a better option with a high Cfm rate
When a pump rated for 1 micron but gets to 50 You are in the zone for a rebuild
Small rebuild sets go for around 100$
Large sets go for 250 $
With good flushing the used pumps often work better so Well worth the effort @Soxhlet has Some great tecks for that on this forum
Getting mains on SPD at around 100 microns is still Ok in My opinion
But with low cfm that is barely an option
The pump Will strugel with the vapors
and your overall vacuum depth Will suffer
Ever checked If You can rent a pump in your area ?
Tool rental shops sometimes have hvac rental and lab second hand equipment shops sometimes rent their for sale equipment
@anon42519203 has several in depth explanations on this forum so does
@Lilibel
Do your best to get the best pump You can find within your budget iT makes
All the diffrance in the world

1 Like

I believe that’s the one I have.

Blanked off i get down to 5 microns.

2 Likes

After this conversation i think im going for the edwards edm 18 and a 2l rig.
Thanks everybody

But what do you use for high vacuum gauges and regulators? This is what i used with the welch last time

It’s not precise enough to give any meaningful readings… what’s better i wonder

The bulls eye vacuum gauge is often used and get the job done
Some of yellow jacket hvac vacuum gauges have the same sensor as the bulls eye these can be found second hand and the sensor can Easely be replaced
For the pro pirani vacuum gauges make sense they. Aren t cheap but give good readings and once a diffusion pump is installed they are neccesary
A breath valve is important dor a vacuum pump Shut at low vacuum oil can be sucked into your glass wear
Hoses used pvc braided transparant hose can be used and is Nice for they are
Cheap and hold vacuum Well
nalgene hose also works Well
Ss belows are best as are kf25 couplings
But pricy
:+1:

3 Likes

can I use a welch 1400 for both the rotovap and the short path?

You can. Its overkill. I would run 1 to 2 cold traps, depending on chiller used, at water bath temps.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve learned alot since this thread started, how big of a roto? You can get the shb3 water aspirator for under$200. It’ll pay for itself after a few runs if you’re having to buy dry ice to keep vapor out yo Welch.

will the bvv 1.5 gallon trap work with it? or does it have to be the glass one?