Acetone crystallization of THC-A

Yes. I have experimented with lidding a jar on and off. The process stalls out to a degree if it sits too long with no evaporation. Restarts if you remove the lid. The crystals in the picture above were in a petri dish, no lid. My shop temp is usually around 16-18°C.

3 Likes

Acetone is capable of forming peroxides, however unlikey. Peroxides are explosive. Acetone peroxide is a very unstable high explosive called tatp. I doubt they would form, even after years of storage with oxygen. Ether, however; will form peroxides by its self. A very dangerous solvent if you don’t know what your doing. It is usually made fresh and used immiditaly, people tend not to store it for that reason. Nothing like twisting the cap off a bottle and having it explode.

10 Likes

Having played with TATP, i know that it generally required a catalyst (acid) to get the reaction started to create them. If done above 10°c it makes di-acetone-tri-peroxide, which goes off if you look at it funny.

It did generally require certain concentrations of h202 in the mix to make though.

Still a valid point to make, but i think highly unlikely to occur unless you were using acid in your process prior.

4 Likes

im experimenting with co2-expanded ethanol (CXE) at < -50c. then possible an acid/base extraction of thca using water

5 Likes

Less than 30% H2O2 and the reaction simply doesn’t have enough oxygen. Original discovery was made in 1895 where small crystals were seen developing in a mixture of acetone and H2O2 which sat at room temperature for a week.

I agree. Highly unlikely, especially without the presence of an acid catalyst (we always went for H2SO4). Certainly no reason to discourage further experimentation.

2 Likes

If i could like this 2x i would :joy:

4 Likes

11643514fnl_Q3CTablesRev3.pdf (185.2 KB)

1 Like

u should experiment with putting dry ice in ur acetone to both chill it and dissolve in co2. co2 seems to dissolve into polar solvents at cold temps. and co2 would expand the volume, make the acetone less polar and it would also increase the mass transfer ratio. I don’t whether that will mean any drastic difference but it would be an interesting experiment. im experimenting with co2 expanded ethanol and many of the papers mention co2 expanded acetone as well

8 Likes

"Shishikura and coworkers
successfully separated citric acid from other organic acids in a CO2-expanded acetone
solution (Shishikura et al., 1994), indicating that GAS precipitation may be a promising
method of separating fermentation broths. "

and by separated they r refer preferentially crystallized

5 Likes

I followed this Tek. I started with BHO and dissolved in acetone and then froze/filtered. I just started to get some crystalization after a few days. Will update with pictures as soon as they grow larger.

15 Likes

I’m basically at this step right here, have some bho that either is improperly dewaxed/winterized and trying to turn it into headstash… excited to hear back from u.

1 Like

hello me my question is is it possible to cause crystallization from rosin and if so how? and any solvent and counter solvent must be used?
as far as I’m concerned I have neither labglass nor specific extractor ^^’

2 Likes

Any reason to avoid just scoring the jar before pouring the solution into it?

2 Likes

You could use rosin just like you would shatter, you may have mixed results as the rosin will be partially decarboxylated due to the heat used in the pressing. Id love to see results if you gave it a try though!

2 Likes

I could give it a try. I always figured nucleation was best when the solution was more saturated but it may work to an advantage with more time to allow crystal growth from the beginning.

1 Like

The way I see it a nucleation site is a nucleation site and if you do it prior there is less agitation. The reason I asked was to see if there was a particular reason to do it after supersaturation. I’m very interested in this acetone method :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Pour the butane rich oil from the closed loop into a mason jar”

in this method does the jar contain acetone?

No. No Acetone until step 6 takes you to method 2 above.

3 Likes

Ok and the 14 days its at room temperature ??cooler or warmer?

this would be enough for small scale tests

I also have this alcohol that I wonder if it could serve ^^ '