About to go get a 2L from summit, also need a consult

About to grab a complete 2L glass setup from summit research that is on sale for $1800. Can you guys recommend me, a chiller and pump. Most likely upgrading to 5L after a few runs so might as well buy the proper size equipment for a 5L and practice on the 2L or should I just buy the 5L and skip the 2L? Any input is appreciated.

Polyscience advanced digital 15 L

1 Like

You can get an Alcatel 2021 for the 2l kit. I may need to change oil between fractions to keep vacuum down.

When you step into the 5L setup, buy an Edward’s 30, use the Alcatel for heads and turn on the Edward’s for mains. Or get a roughing pump (sogevac) for heads. They are usually fairly cheap

1 Like

We have a Edwards 30 for our ovens but hasn’t been rebuilt in quite sometime. I think summit research mentioned they had a Edwards e28 for 4500 should I go for that. I hate having to buy equipment twice, might as well get what we need the 1st time around.

Also anyone willing to do a consult in the Sacramento area?

2 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 is in the Sacramento area

2 Likes

So I ended up getting a
2L SPD-2FC34 with a #24 key
Edward’s 28
Polyscience AD -40 15L

I however didint go with the fraction finder and didint get anything to monitor vacuum or temperature. I’m completely new to this world.

What should I go with?

You should get temperature and vacuum gauges ASAP, you can get some results without them, however they are some of your best friends for operation and troubleshooting. And do you mean specifically you dont have an instrument for reading vapor temperature?

Edit: Bullseye vacuum gauges are very popular, easy to use, affordable and accurate for the industry. Some type of thermocouple with quality fittings for vapor temp

I have two alcatels can I run them together for a 5L?

1 Like

i asked that same question and was told no i believe by @Roguelab

So I would have to give up the key to read head temps? I should I just buy the summit controller?

1 Like

They make keys that are thermowells. And you should see if you can get a GL-KF connector and use a bellow after the cold trap. You’ll have better vacuum, as well. Which will be very helpful

1 Like

@Dred_pirate seems to think that a single will do fine

1 Like

whats the cfm on that?

it looks like thats 12.95 cfm, i know @Roguelab suggests 4cfm per L of BF
if it works let me know!

I’ve seen that pump run a 5l full bore summit kit. And under 50 micron. I believe. I would definitely run it on a 2l. I use it to pull vac on my collection, my whole cls, and vac my nitro. With regular vac changes she still pulls my 100lb tank under 20 micron(empty). And that’s after being used for spd, multiple times. They are die hard little pumps.

1 Like

So, if you add the swing arm mono cow piece. You won’t have to break vac after heads and you can can drop a swing arm down for main body and keep your system under vac. You could change your oil right then to keep micron low. Especially because you don’t have a second cold trap.

1 Like

How would you change your oil with the pump running?

1 Like

You wouldn’t leave it running, obviously. You’d have to stop the system, but not break vac at least

1 Like

So you can change the oil while it’s under vac? Or do you have to blank the pump off?

1 Like