6x36 spool solvent capacity?

Im trying to run run some inline dewax runs and curious if anyone knows the amount of liquid butane that will fit in a 6x36inch spool? Just wondering how much gas I should be adding for my system. Thanks

1 Like

2pir*H = cubic x.

Then convert that to liters using google.

1 Like

And remember that an 80% fill is safe. More than that and you’re asking for trouble.

2 Likes

Best value vacs has a calculator on their site, it’ll tell how much butane/iso/propane a column will hold.

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/calculators.html

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Cylinder circumference is 2pir and the height is the cubic volume. Then maybe multiply it by your safety threshold x .7 or .8 for 70 and 80 percent.

Hope this makes the math a little easier. Google will take the cubic inches and cubic feet and convert them to volume.

1 Like

What is the material capacity of a 6x36?

1 Like

6x48 is nominal 10lb biomass

So 7.5ish?

2 Likes

Should one still not go above 80% even tho it will be in a sleeved column with dry ice/acetone reducing any possible pressure? Just trying to get an efficient dewax but was told by by someone that my column only holds 20lbs of gas. Which means if I’m putting 4-5lbs of material in the first column I’m only running a 1:4 solvent ratio which I’m not sure is enough? Also if I have to run that ratio would it be better to not chill my solvent first allowing it to pull more before the dewax column? Thoughts?

They can fit roughly 4-5 lbs. Probably more if it were ground down and packed tightly.

In my 6x12 it’s 7 llbs! I live dangerously :laughing:

2 Likes

6x12…?

Yeah I fit 7ish lbs of solvent in that bitch everyday and dewax! :laughing:

Ohhh, hahah… I thought you were saying 7lbs or material! :joy:

2 Likes

Which are you referring to 6x36 or 6x48?

I can get 5lb in a 4x48 which is 1/2 the volume of a 6x48.

using material socks, the last crew I worked with was getting 5lb in their 6x48, so grind and packing density make a huge difference.

the 10lb nominal on a 6x48 comes from the manufactures…

1 Like

Correct. We have had our pressure relief valves on the lid of our tubes go off before when some overzealous employees overfilled some tubes. Luckily we’re on a compliant unit and have all of our required hydrostatic relief valves in place! If we ever see that happen, we just perform a half second or second long bottom burp on the tubes to clear out some vapor space.

That said, we generally get about fill of about 20ish liquid pounds of butane for a 6"x48" column. That does, however, include lids and filter plates on either end of the column. So, maybe just over 75% of that figure for a tube that’s a foot shorter.

1 Like

I was seeing 100lb solvent to “fill” four 6x48 columns on two different machines. each column also had ~5lb of material in it, and visible head space (~10% at best).

2 Likes

Dumb question, what are you grinding with? I can NEVER get more than 4 in my 4x48

2 Likes

We were getting a constant 4.5-5lb of flower in a 4x48 and upto 6.5lbs of trim in a 4x48.

We were using material socks as well.

You need to pack in small amounts. And pack constantly.

We don’t grind at all

7 Likes

lol insane dude. I haven’t been packing at all because I thought it would cause me flow issues.

I’m going to pack my 6x50 to the moon tomorrow if you’re having success packing 6.5lb of trim in a 4x48

1 Like