6 inch spool or 4 inch

I’m wanting to upgrade spool from a 4x48 to a 6x48. Any reason to not go larger?

Lower pressure ratings for one.

From what i can tell 6" pipe is also a better bang for your buck in terms of cubic inches per $ spent compared to bigger sized pipes. At least thats what I gathered from browsing glacier tanks. Killa has the information you seek.

2 Likes

make sure your collection vessel holds enough

3 Likes

Marking sure collection vessels is large enough for the ratio of biomass to solvent you like to use is key. 6” is the way to go everything else is a waste of time imo. Unless you do personal or very small batch stuff. What you will need though is to make sure you have adequate solvent dispersion on your injection so like a shower head. If you don’t have a shower head than your not going to grab everything and will have some dry spots. You can grab 6” x48 socks from ets and they work like a charm.

1 Like

Completely agree with 710, tane to material ratio is key, least amount of soke as cold as possible for best color.

Most important IMO is to have a rack mounted material column and go bi-directional.

I bottom feed 13# which fills the column up full and then i blast another 7-10# from the top to push everything into the dewax column

By doing that you will pull a bunch of undesirables. Shower head on top, 10 to 1 cryo works fantastic for me. The faster your tane moves through you material the beter your final product. Bottom fill helps with channeling but sokes to long

The larger size column you go, the lower the pressure rating will be. Also, any vessel larger than 6" diameter is legally going to have to be considered a pressure vessel in any licensed and certified extraction systems.

Anything 6" or smaller can be considered a pipe, not a pressure vessel. Once you go larger and it has to be considered a pressure vessel, it will generally need to be an ASME pressure vessel, and the increased engineering costs will drive up the price very quickly.

Also, if you’re extracting by washing solvent through your tube, as opposed to filling and soaking, you’re going to want a narrower column to reduce channeling. With larger columns, I generally recommend people use the fill and soak strategy to negate that problem.

You may also want a smaller column if you are running frozen material, as a larger column is harder to effectively chill all the way to the center.

That said, we currently run with 6x48 columns on our units and have successfully run both crude and live resin using those.

3 Likes

my whole flood top and bottom takes 30 minutes about 15 minutes each way and its cold the whole time. you are saying i am soaking too long at 30 minutes? i consider it (2) 15 minute soaks not (1) 30 minutes soak

Try it without, and check the difference in your fat content…
That doesnt sound to long. I dont soak at all, straight though.

1 Like

I’ve done side by side tests to compare yield & any visual differences and arrived at this strategy:

We slowly fill our 4" x 60" column, which takes about 5 minutes & 10lbs of solvent. Then let it soak for another 5 - 10 min depending on material quality. Then flush with about 2 - 4 more lbs of solvent.

It’s cool to see how many different ways people go about this process :slight_smile:

2 Likes