3/8 or 1/4 fittings and hoses for 1lbs closed loop extractor

Hi I have a bi-directional closed-loop extractor.
Trying to figure out what’s best way to run.

I would like to know what is better 3/8" hose and connections or 1/4" hose and connection?

Thank you.

Bigger is better for flow, and less plumbing length.

4 Likes

1/2”. with that said…its only a one lb extractor where your moving only 5lbs of gas or . While 3/8 of an inch is better…with that small amount of butane…its not gonna make a huge difference in time with with 1/4 or 3/8

7 Likes

I noticed a difference changing to 3/8 from 1/4. But i did have alot of restrictions with my 1/4 setup. I probably could have stayed at 1/4 and just fixed the restricted points and been just fine.

5 Likes

The saying is you get 40% more threw a 3/8 line as a 1/4" line and this is at 100% efficiency. So lets look at the math of this for reference.

Lets say your moving passive threw a system with 1/4" lines. Lets say recovery time is 5-6mins per lb of gas to be pretty conservative. We can use the 6 mins per lb to calculate the time saving at 100% efficiency then work off that number cause no one is 100% efficient at this.

So a 1lb system should be able to recover 5lbs of gas in about 30 mins using 6mins per lb. Lets say your 40% faster. so you drop 12 mins off that time. At 100% efficiency you gain back 12 mins per run. Now lets be conservative with that number ans say we only operate at 80% efficiency. We now your only saving 6 mins per run.

This is how i look at this. NOW if we look at this same problem with a 5lb system…moving 25lbs of gas…this can save 30 to 45 mins per run which is pretty significant.

6 Likes

Even with my restrictions i was 4mins a lb. Warm water bath temps made the biggest difference.

2 Likes

just trying to be conservative so people see the real numbers as like a worse case scenerio. I do it passive in about the same time 3-5 mins per lb depending on my warm water bath…

But people i think should be aware of these time differences when considering going bigger lines and conversions as these can be costly.

4 Likes

What temp do you recover… Seems to take me. 45 min no matter what I do…

I have feeling if I can get collection set off bottom cooler to get water under it would really help

2 Likes

My pot has legs, submerged almost completely. But i use a pump, not smart enough for passive :smiley:

1 Like

Place your pot on to Some pieces of anything iT really helps the thermodynamics of your warm bath

2 Likes

Didnt i show you these. They are bucket dirt traps for washing cars.

They keep your collection off the bottom

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-IAI503-Guard-Insert/dp/B00ABYVTZA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bucket+dirt&qid=1553723845&s=gateway&sr=8-3

7 Likes

I was super StoneD that night lmao

Just got it

2 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks guys. I ask because I ordered 3/8 everything (was suggested to me by a more experienced extractor) when system arrived, it was reduced to 1/4 after every valve and the hose was also 1/4. When I spoke with them they told me even their 10lb was 1/4 " and was questioning me if I was sure if I wanted that or not… haha I basically told them to ship me what I ordered. So they are sending 3 new hoses and 3/8 jic’s

4 Likes