2023 Farm Bill, predictions & insights

“The Congressional Budget Office’s 10-year cost projection through fiscal 2033 shows SNAP would account for $1.2 trillion out of a nearly $1.5 trillion baseline for the farm bill.”

If 80% of the Farm Bill money goes to snap, it’s really The SNAP Bill…also featuring farmers.

2 Likes
1 Like

They are gonna fuck us. BET.

1 Like

The current summary appears to align with the new ASTM definition of hemp which excludes all cannabinoids and relegates those to a molecule dependent classification which would allow them to come from basically anywhere (plants, synthetics, other plants that are not cannabis, etc.)

It implies that it is going to redefine things to be specific for fiber and grains. However - that would be a pretty big change (CBD rescheduling for instance…) I’m working hard to get a full copy of the draft language, so “we” can provide comments. :smiley: We are expecting to see actual language by the end of the month!

13 Likes

White House Asked to Reclassify Marijuana

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration plans to reclassify marijuana as a less dangerous drug, which could have far-reaching implications for American drug policy.

but marijuana isn’t hemp

1 Like
1 Like

Everyone hoping to survive under the old farm bill structure

The federal government after pulling the greatest rope a dope of all time

giphy

2 Likes

President Joe Biden confirmed May 16 that the White House is moving forward on the next step to reschedule cannabis, from a Schedule I to a Schedule III drug, under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/news/white-house-moves-to-reschedule-cannabis-monumental-decision-biden/

1 Like

Predict no more! The House’s Farm Bill base text is out: https://agriculture.house.gov/uploadedfiles/discussion_draft_ffns.pdf

A lot going on in the base text which signals to me that there is plenty of room for floor amendments next week. So I suppose, we still need to predict away!

3 Likes

5 Likes

I didn’t see anything in that text that significantly changed the definition of hemp, am I wrong? I skimmed it quickly to be fair.

It creates a distinction between “hemp grown for cannabinoid extraction” and “industrial hemp” and then later, it gives the Commission of the FDA and Secretary of HHS the authority to promulgate regulations and guidance that relate to the regulation of hemp-derived cannabinoid products.

Lots of ambiguity still which I predict will be filled in next week, or maybe by the Senate version.

4 Likes

Right, it’s a framework not a definition.

My prediction from yesterday on another thread

2 Likes

I’ve been arguing this for a while, so I really don’t understand why people were sitting there clapping for all this.

That bill, at this point, reads better than your prediction. I still say there’s not a way in hell the government can enforce the shut down of an $8b industry. This will be tied up in court if it goes this way. I do realize it’s a possibility, but I don’t think it will be like waving a wand.

Basically, to me, the government should just fuck off and stop telling us how and where and when to grow a PLANT.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I didn’t see any change here. What page/paragraph are you seeing that? The FDA/HHS already has that control (as it does for all food, drug, cosmetics, medical devices, and dietary supplements).

I didn’t see any of the ambiguity that you have mentioned. It looks pretty specific to me (although I do expect changes). And it mimics the requests that were made during the Hemp hearings in 2022 and 2023 - the US Hemp Roundtable made some pretty great requests. And the definitions from ASTM are included there now.

They even included the part about USDA being responsible for labs (like they are for most other agricultural products…) instead of DEA, which is a sweet win, IMO.

5 Likes

Love to see the hemp boys squirm

Who’s squirming? This seems pretty fair to me unless amendments are attached.

2 Likes