2019 Hemp acreage

What genetics out there this yr are not related to cherry wine? I’m no breeder, and not much of a grower, but a certifiable Terp freak. alot of heady hempflower and extract tastes like trash to me, even though it may smell and look amazing. Cold run bho/pho Terps on live and curved all have had a common back note to the Taste that ruins the flavor for me. I’m wondering if its all the cherry wine genetics in the pool of seed most have access to bringing this common hempy back note. …

Im not sure where their hemp genes come from. I got some Otto x boax im already growing. Theyre doing well. There are a few good ones judging solely from looking at them and rubbing the stems.

We inend to make biomass for concentration and distillation. So for me terps arent as important. In fact i would prefer a strain that replaced terps with more CBDa or CBGa maybe. It would be easier to process. I see if you are in the trimmed flower market that the terps are much more important than say the overall cannabinoid content.

No big farmers i know of in MI are going for that market.

It seems to me a top notch looking flower with an ok nose will beat out an ok looking flower with a top notch nose regardless of what smells like what. Its what we call “bag appeal” maybe its not as big of a deal with CBD.

Boax is a excellent strain … much more disease resistance than cherry

1 Like

I found these guys when we were in lansing. They have several strains.

1 Like

Drake why don’t you hit me up I’ve done a little bit of research on this too

I’ve got two sources for seed out of Oregon Both are very credible and seem really good to work with

If youre growing for flower heat and humidity is going to be a problem. If your field stays wet thats going to be a problem. Dry farming can work but the lack of control could waste the season. You might consider a test plot.
I assume you got seed from cope? So did we and the phenos were wildly variable.

Who is cope? Everybody wants the Crawford bros seeds theyre hard to come by. We grew a cross of BAOX from another guy. I did several test plots this year and planted about 60k seeds. One thing stuck out. The fields with drain tiles installed did exponentially better than fields with no drain tiles.

Also the seeds came up less uniform than i had hoped. Some got planted deeper than others so they took longer to come up. Theres a handful pf phenos i see bit its not crazy diversity by any means. They all smell the same more or less. Theres a small percentage that were ready 1-2 weeks earlier than the bulk of which are ripening up nicely. Theres also a small percentage that will not be ready in time but were going for biomass im not too worried about it.

I am weighing my options for next year. Do we direct plant seeds again or transplant clones. I feel like if I had transplanted clones this year it would have been a disaster.

The biggest issue for me was weed pressure. We didnt do any blind tillage after planting and the crop suffered because of it.

All in all it was a good learning experience and I feel like i got out of it this year what i needed to (knowledge wise.) We will see if I can squeeze a buck from it now

1 Like

Good guy and $200 per acre for seed is unbeatable. Double the planting density and let the weak phenos be left below the canopy.

My team just took down a local field done by clone with expert growers for processing. I must say their field looked better than the 50 acres next to it done by seed. Huge difference in quality. They topped the field and used the cuts to sell so made a good return. Check them out they sell clones. @hydrohendry

I’ll definitly check him out. The website says plant 8900 plants per acre. That might be overkill for some conditions at 5 sq ft per plant. It would probably work for later planted dry farming because they arent as huge.

U said they did clones right next to seeds? How many seeds did the clones have. Strangely most of my greenhouse THC plants didnt get nearly as many seeds as the outdoor hemp plants. Most had 5-10% as many seeds as the hemp. I assume its because the inbreeding has made them less susceptible to outbreeding? I do have a grape pie and a buddhas gift totally seeded up. I cant wait to pop those in the name of research :seedling:

1 Like

@Zenleafhemp there was about 55 acres done by several groups on the parcel. The seed field came out highly variable and from the look low yield/quality. The zenleafhemp guys only did a few acres to take cuttings from but their yield and flower was outstanding.

The cope guys are seed only. I planted out a bit but my halfassed farming was just for fun. I do have 48lbs of their seed leftover if youre interested.

Next years seeds (made this year) will be at least one generation further worked and should outperform this years seeds (made last year) or no?

I honestly dont know. Theyve been at it for years already. If you want big acreage cuttings probably are to expensive but for 20 acres i think youll get a better return of cbd…though cbd itself might not produce a good return. Farming is damn hard to make money at so my experience has been to control costs agressively. I can tell you as a processor I was willing to go over and above for their crop but the seed crop next to it would have very little bargaining power with us.